• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Differential with too much lash

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
After quite a bit of time and LOTS of miles, the diffy in the MGB is exhibiting some real gear lash. Anybody have a "chunk" (the later ring and pinion, not the "banjo" type) they'd want rid of? Looking to rebuild one on the bench and do a swap-out rather than have the B inoperable in the interim.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hey Doc, I got one that has a little slap and banging around back there too. But I'll just keep it because I don't think you'd want this one either. Anyway the 'B' is slated for a full redo this coming winter so I'll need it then. Good luck with yours.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Over the years I've only seen two of these diffies with serious lash issues. The things are near bulletproof, IMHO. I'll admit I neglected this one, it sat from around 2005 'til last year mostly unused. With well over 100K miles.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Doc, i don't have a lot of experience with the B rear gears but mine is pretty loose. Sometimes I wonder if it will hold till this winter when I do the resto. But I do agree the MG rear gears and for that matter all the LBC rear gears seem very robust. My BJ7 Austin Healey had perfect rear gears till I decided to go to the 3:54:1 ring and pinion. After two different sets and two different pro builders i now have the 3:54 ratio I wanted, but with considerable noise and considerable looseness. But I'm not going to pop for another set again. I have been beating the dickens out of those 3:54s for 4 years and haven't broken them yet. One of the things I am enjoying with the B is that it is so shabby and so run down that my attitude is that I can't hurt it. I lay tools right on the fenders with no fender aprons to protect them and I slam the hood which I had to adjust to a rather high fit just to get it to latch consistently. Everything I do with it is just fun because it is a true beater. But also, I've got it purring like a kitten right now. Stay warm and cozy down there in Florida, its just getting into the high 60s and low 70s here in Pa. FINALLY! Say hello to PD for me if you ever catch up with him.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I see you saw the meet-up post.

I'm bein' mosquito bit just sittin' here at the desk in the garage. Intended to R&R the A/C compressor on the neighbor's G7 Infinity but he was sold the wrong compressor. There's an amazing amount of *stuff* shoe-horned into the engine bay of that thing. Couldn't see enuff of the mounted unit until I'd taken a boatload of other pieces out. Then it was: "Oh, carp!" And putting all the pieces back together. Modern cars are much too complex for my taste. Give me something like a B, the Spider or my Lotus cars. I can see and NAME everything in 'em. :wink:

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
I got ya Doc. Understand completely. You are very persistent. I gave up on new fangled cars. this is suppose to be fun. If it has a computer and fuel injection I don't touch it. Ya know if you wanted to keep on wrenchin I would bet you could find quite a few "COLLECTOR CARS" around there that just need a little TLC now and then. You know the stuff, with DISTRIBUTORS, and POINTS and CARBURETTERS. The stuff that's fun to work on. ...... Maybe we should move this conversation to the PUB?