• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Newspaper article/DMH signature?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
A number of years ago I attended an AHS&TC Encounter in New Jersey and was blown away when I saw at the auction a framed front page of the February 13, 1957 edition of the "Daytona Beach Morning Journal" featuring an article about my car and its then-owner (see attached). It took a while but I was able to get a copy of the article and I have it prominently posted in my garage.

Towards the lower right-hand corner there is what appears to be the signature of Donald Healey (see close-up attached). Can anyone familiar with his signature tell me if this is the case?

Attachments

• 100article.jpg
    100article.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 132
  • DMH.jpg
    DMH.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 128

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Can anyone familiar with his signature tell me if this is the case?

I'd say it's authentic, based particularly on the shape of the leading initial (D) and the elongated descender of the final "y". It's apparently hurriedly drawn, but based on several original examples of his signature here, and more I've seen over the decades, I have high confidence that it's real.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Here's a copy of a Christmas card with Donald's signature, but it looks like it is machine printed, rather than an autographed paper.
Inside.jpg

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael - yes that is Donald's signature. He signed the article for me back at AHSTC Encounter in 1986. I think I have a photo of that event. I will try to find it and post it for all to see. I purchased the article back in the early 80s at the Annual Carlisle PA auto Flea market and Car Show.:driving:

JimR

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Michael. I have a signed copy of an owner's manual obtained by the PO. The signature looks a little different but I'm no expert. I'll attempt to attach a picture.

- looks like I can't figure out how to do it. The pic is on a memory card in my computer.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Jim--

It was indeed serendipitous that I saw the article at Encounter and thank you again for sending me the copy.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael, the attached photo is of a souvenir from my 1978 visit to England. The programme was signed for me by Don (as he insisted I call him). I think it shows that the document that you have does not have the same signature.
Sorry,
Alwyn6A686286-6D36-4B81-AC17-E9D4055B00A0.jpg

Last edited:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
....and I don’t think it is Geoff Healey’s either. 72794F91-9983-41CD-8B54-B23DA9A252AA.jpg
(Note that they both used felt tipped pens!)
Bic’s perhaps?

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael - I tracked down my photo of Donald signing your newspaper article. where would you like me to send it? give me an email address AND IT WILL BE SENT. I don't know how to post the photo to the Forum:driving:

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This picture from Jim Lescher, the source of the poster, showing DMH signing it for him. Case closed....

Attachments

• DMHsig.JPG
    DMHsig.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 85

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
It looks like Donald was at an age where his hand wasn’t steady, I would think that’s why the signature looks so different. Awesome piece to have with your car!

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael - It has been my experience with DMH over many years. If he had a direct relationship to the article being signed he would use his best penmanship. I will send you the photo of the warranty for my 55 BN1 where Donald signed
"Good for next 10,000 miles Donald Healey Aug 76" this took place back in 1976 when Donald attended the Cherry Hill East Coast event.:driving:

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael and healey106, that is a sad demonstration of how quickly age can catch up with all of us. Eight years between my last meeting with “the Skipper” and his signing the your newspaper article, and the signature is significantly different.
Kind regards,
Alwyn