• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speaking of Parking lots

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
In another thread were were discussing the perils of people driving too fact though parking lots. Not wanting to hijack that thread, I wanted to vent about a couple other parking lot behaviors that drive me over the edge.

1. People who don't put their carts back in the cart area. Why are some people so danged lazy that they just leave their shopping carts in the parking space next to their car when the cart placement area is like 10 feet away?

2. Peope who think nothing of dumping their trash (including dumping their ash treys) in the parking lot! Every time I walk to Smiths from my car I end up with handfulls of trash I pick up as I walk to the door. I will never understand such laziness.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
How about those that park in the striped area between two handicapped spots.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I walked into Walmart yesterday... watched a lady grab a buggy, take handfuls of trash out of it, drop it onto the floor in the store, then push her cart. Trash can literally 3 feet away, no kidding.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
People are awful.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since we're trash talking, I couldn't believe people throwing trash everywhere except the trash cans when the rangers were furloughed from the National Parks.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back in the 19th century, the *dirtiest* place in a New England village was the town common. Trash, garbage, dead animals, broken carts and wagons, grass and weeds never cut - quite a mess.

The Common was the only part of town not owned by someone; it was owned by everyone "in common" - so no one felt obligated to take care of it. Similar to today's public spaces, which are often covered with trash unless a paid crew comes in to clean it up.

The pristine New England common we see today, neatly mowed, well-maintained trees, and a band stand, resulted from the need to improve appearances after the Civil War, to increase investment and attract "the better quality people".

barre-town-common.JPG

"They paved paradise and ..."

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Similar to today's public spaces, which are often covered with trash unless a paid crew comes in to clean it up.

I think upbringing (or lack thereof) has a lot to do with it also.

True story: A friend attended an event at the Washington Mall some years ago. Never mind what the event was. Suffice it to say this event had several thousand people in attendance. After the event, the participants left the Mall cleaner than it was before the event had started. Everyone was methodical about making sure that their trash was properly disposed of. Such is not always the case for events at the Mall, but for this event, the attendees did not trash the place and picked up after themselves.

On the flip side, another true story. Back when we lived in Illinois, we used to go camping at a place called Carlyle Lake, about 25 miles east of our town. One morning, while camping there, Mary and I took a walk through some thick brush, down to a rocky stretch of beach. Upon entering the beach area we saw a couple who were obviously changing their baby's diaper, so we turned around and went back to the camper. A little while later, that family got in their car and drove away from the camp area. At this time, we decided to head back to that same beach area (you know where this is going, don't you?). Sure enough, laying right there on the beach, face up, was a stinky, nasty - completely full - diaper. Yes, we picked it up and disposed of it properly, but man - what the heck!??

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I walk every day though the parking lot of the local high school. Several years ago I came upon a big puddle of old motor oil and 5 empty oil containers. Yup someone changed their oil.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I walk every day though the parking lot of the local high school. Several years ago I came upon a big puddle of old motor oil and 5 empty oil containers. Yup someone changed their oil.

Now days there are enough surveillance cameras around schools such that it would probably be easy to find the culprit.
I think I have posted this before, but we have a nice wooded hiking area right across the street from our house. Mary and I go walking there many mornings during the week. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for dirt bags to drive out there in the middle of the night and use the tara as their own personal dump site! One such pile we found on morning: (I sent these pictures to our city of course).

trash1.jpg

trash2.jpg

trash3.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Looks like you walk the private road behind our property. I found a similar pile of household trash dumped along the trail. At least 2 miles off the public road behind a locked gate. They went to lots of trouble to dump it. The County dump is only a few miles further along the road.
The property owner thanked me for notifying them about the mess as it was a little way off the trail.
Saying People are pigs does pigs a disservice.

David

Now days there are enough surveillance cameras around schools such that it would probably be easy to find the culprit.
I think I have posted this before, but we have a nice wooded hiking area right across the street from our house. Mary and I go walking there many mornings during the week. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for dirt bags to drive out there in the middle of the night and use the tara as their own personal dump site! One such pile we found on morning: (I sent these pictures to our city of course).

View attachment 58603

View attachment 58604

View attachment 58605

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Why is it OK to wind your car window down and dump your ?:
Cigarette cellophane wrapper.
Burning cigarette end. (Motorcyclists love this one)
Empty Cigarette pack.

Just for starters.
I worked in the industry and it always griped me that people seemed to think that was OK.

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Why is it OK to wind your car window down and dump your ?:
Cigarette cellophane wrapper.
Burning cigarette end. (Motorcyclists love this one)
Empty Cigarette pack.

Just for starters.
I worked in the industry and it always griped me that people seemed to think that was OK.

David

Upbringing. (or as my friend Cecil likes to say, "they didn't have no proper fetchen' up"

I can't tell you how many times some guy in front of me on the highway has tossed their cigarette out the window. At night, you get to watch as the "cherry" explodes on the ground if front if you.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Upbringing. (or as my friend Cecil likes to say, "they didn't have no proper fetchen' up"

I think there is some truth to that but not all. We all know (and truth told have likely done it ourselves) those who behave differently in different contexts and environments.

I would also suggest that almost no one - anywhere - is modelling good behaviour. So if those above me can say/do/dump/ anything they want - why shouldn't I?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was just typing a reply when the phone rang...sad news. See my post RE: judow