• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Turn signal help needed.

John O'Brien

Freshman Member
Hi Guys and Gals:
I'm new to the forum, and I joined because of the excellent articles in Healey Marque inm Feb. and March by Bill Young showing the Ladder logic diagrams for our Healeys. I have a
'65 A-H BJ8 (Madelyn). My BJ8 is an early Phase 2 model, meaning I have single marker lights front and rear, but I have left and right signal indicators on the dash fascia. I'm having problems sorting a wiring issue. When I turn either left or right signal on, both dash indicator lights flash, and they flash on when the exterior light is off, and off when the exterior lights are on. I have been studying the very excellent articles in Healey Marque, but they don's seem to address this configuration. ideas on how to proceed, or test to find the problem will be appreciated. I was hoping to convert to LEDs but I know I need to have everything working properly before making the changeover. Wiring diagram for my car seems to be shown in the original service manual on page NNN 10
L
ooking forward to collective wisdom.
John O'Brien

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum.

The dash indicators on a BJ8 P2 are not as straight forward as you would expect. Power is supplied from the flasher to both dash directional indicators but the ground is provided by the wiring from the non-selected side rear bulb grounds. The selected side will not have access to a ground and, therefor not be illuminated.

Take a look at the left diagram for my BJ8 P1 as the dash directional power concept is similar to yours but I don't know if your P2 has the flasher relay. Either way, if both dash indicators are illuminating simultaneously, if it because you have a bad ground on either the front or rear directional of the non-selected side. You will be able to determine which as it will be the one that doesn't light or illuminates dimly when that side is selected.

Directional Indicators Converted to local Grounds FRB.jpg
The diagram on the right was how I modified my BJ8P1 when creating a electronic version of my original Flasher Relay.

Enjoy your Healey,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
J

John O'Brien

Freshman Member
I think I may have figured out what's going on. I installed a flasher unit from NAPA, that they said was listed for mycar, but what I discovered is that the L tab and the P tab on the flasher energize alternately instead of simultaneously. This means that the off-setting 12 volts that are supposed to keep the non-selected side indicator from illuminating, are instead getting alternating voltage first from one side and then the other. What I actually found was that the dash lights were flashing bright and then dim but still illuminated. I have ordered a correct flasher unit from a trusted British car parts supplier, so I expect/hope that the problem will be fixed when it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Very nice drawings thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think I may have figured out what's going on. I installed a flasher unit from NAPA, that they said was listed for mycar, but what I discovered is that the L tab and the P tab on the flasher energize alternately instead of simultaneously. This means that the off-setting 12 volts that are supposed to keep the non-selected side indicator from illuminating, are instead getting alternating voltage first from one side and then the other. What I actually found was that the dash lights were flashing bright and then dim but still illuminated. I have ordered a correct flasher unit from a trusted British car parts supplier, so I expect/hope that the problem will be fixed when it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
John
That type of flasher unit is correct for earlier cars.