Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Question BJ8 Turn signal help needed.

Hi Guys and Gals:
    I'm new to the forum, and I joined because of the excellent articles in Healey Marque inm Feb. and March by Bill Young showing the Ladder logic diagrams for our Healeys. I have a
    '65 A-H BJ8 (Madelyn). My BJ8 is an early Phase 2 model, meaning I have single marker lights front and rear, but I have left and right signal indicators on the dash fascia. I'm having problems sorting a wiring issue. When I turn either left or right signal on, both dash indicator lights flash, and they flash on when the exterior light is off, and off when the exterior lights are on. I have been studying the very excellent articles in Healey Marque, but they don's seem to address this configuration. ideas on how to proceed, or test to find the problem will be appreciated. I was hoping to convert to LEDs but I know I need to have everything working properly before making the changeover. Wiring diagram for my car seems to be shown in the original service manual on page NNN 10
    L
    ooking forward to collective wisdom.
    John O'Brien

2. The Following User Says Thank You to John O'Brien For This Useful Post:

Editor_Reid  (04-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Re: BJ8 Turn signal help needed.

If anyone here isn't familiar with HEALEY MARQUE, the official publication of the Austin-Healey Club of America, there's a very useful link in my signature below
    Reid Trummel
    Editor, HEALEY MARQUE magazine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Hi John,

Welcome to the Forum.

The dash indicators on a BJ8 P2 are not as straight forward as you would expect. Power is supplied from the flasher to both dash directional indicators but the ground is provided by the wiring from the non-selected side rear bulb grounds. The selected side will not have access to a ground and, therefor not be illuminated.

Take a look at the left diagram for my BJ8 P1 as the dash directional power concept is similar to yours but I don't know if your P2 has the flasher relay. Either way, if both dash indicators are illuminating simultaneously, if it because you have a bad ground on either the front or rear directional of the non-selected side. You will be able to determine which as it will be the one that doesn't light or illuminates dimly when that side is selected.

Directional Indicators Converted to local Grounds FRB.jpgThe diagram on the right was how I modified my BJ8P1 when creating a electronic version of my original Flasher Relay.

Enjoy your Healey,
    Ray(64BJ8P1)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RAC68 For This Useful Post:

Editor_Reid  (04-25-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

I think using a Tridon EL-13 flasher would also solve the problem:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/...=1#post1110861
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think I may have figured out what's going on. I installed a flasher unit from NAPA, that they said was listed for mycar, but what I discovered is that the L tab and the P tab on the flasher energize alternately instead of simultaneously. This means that the off-setting 12 volts that are supposed to keep the non-selected side indicator from illuminating, are instead getting alternating voltage first from one side and then the other. What I actually found was that the dash lights were flashing bright and then dim but still illuminated. I have ordered a correct flasher unit from a trusted British car parts supplier, so I expect/hope that the problem will be fixed when it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
    John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Very nice drawings thanks.

Last edited by Editor_Reid; 04-26-2019 at 12:37 AM. Reason: No need to thank me. Just doing my job.
    1966 Daimler V8 Saloon; Safely Fast, Built to Last & and; Smooth as Glass.
    1966 BJ8 [ 2 ] Lil Red & Miss bLU
    1985 XJ6 Saloon
    1948 & 70 Lincoln continentals
    1973 Volvo P1800ES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Brien View Post
    I think I may have figured out what's going on. I installed a flasher unit from NAPA, that they said was listed for mycar, but what I discovered is that the L tab and the P tab on the flasher energize alternately instead of simultaneously. This means that the off-setting 12 volts that are supposed to keep the non-selected side indicator from illuminating, are instead getting alternating voltage first from one side and then the other. What I actually found was that the dash lights were flashing bright and then dim but still illuminated. I have ordered a correct flasher unit from a trusted British car parts supplier, so I expect/hope that the problem will be fixed when it gets here. I'll keep you posted.
    John
    That type of flasher unit is correct for earlier cars.
    John, BN4