• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Turn Signal issue. Need some help.

John O'Brien

Freshman Member
Hi All:
I'm looking forward to watching and posting on this forum. I Have a '61 A-H Bugeye Sprite (Lucy), and a '65 A-H BJ8 (Madelyn) My BJ8 is an early Phase 2 model, meaning I have single marker lights front and rear, but I have left and right signal indicators on the dash fascia. I'm having problems sorting a wiring issue. When I turn either left or right signal on, both dash indicator lights flash, and they flash on when the exterior light is off, and off when the exterior lights are on. I have been studying the very excellent articles in Healey Marque by Bill Young, but they don's seem to address this configuration. ideas on how to proceed, or test to find the problem will be appreciated. I just replaced a faulty flasher unit, but the problem persists.
looking forward to collective wisdom.
John O'Brien

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
First, welcome to the forum, John. FOr your specific Sprite question, I woud encourage you to post the details of your problem/question in our "Sprigets" forum. I'm sure if you do you will get lots of help!

Basil

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hopefully Basil won't mind too much if I throw my 2 pence worth in here. I'm a Triumph guy, don't hang out on Healey forums, so I won't see your question there.

But, I'm fairly good at electrical circuits; and I think I know what your problem is. The problem is that the flashers being sold today do not work the same as the original one did; and while in most cases the difference (having the indicator light when the signals are dark) would not matter; it does matter with the original wiring for your car.

Ray (RAC68) conveniently posted a nice diagram that shows the original configuration on the left, and a fix on the right:
attachment.php

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...ladder-logic&p=1094241&viewfull=1#post1094241

On the left, both dash indicator bulbs are fed from a single terminal on the flasher (P) that originally only went hot when the turn signals were lit. In order to get the two bulb effect (only one dash bulb lights at a time), they ran the ground for each bulb to the turn signal circuit for the other side.

Thus, for example, the left turn indicator would not light when the right turn signals were on, because both sides of the left indicator bulb would be hot at the same time. But the right turn indicator would get grounded through the dark left turn signal, and it would come on.

But, your flasher makes terminal P hot only when the turn signal output (terminal L) is not hot. Since both front turn signals are not powered at that moment, both dash indicators light.

The cure is to either source another flasher that does work "right" (I believe a Tridon EL13 will do), or else change your wiring so it will work with either type of flasher, as Ray showed on the right.

PS, Welcome to the asylum!

PPS, if your FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store) doesn't have an EL13, you can get one from RockAuto
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/tridon+/+novita,EL13,flasher,10139

OP
J

John O'Brien

Freshman Member
Thanks Randall. I did not check at my FLAPS. I just ordered from Vicky Brit. and I am hoping they send me on that works correctly.
John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You have a lot more faith in VB than I do!!

OP
J

John O'Brien

Freshman Member
I received it yesterday, and you were right to be skeptical. The one they sent me also alternates energizing the L tab and the P tab. I am going to check my FLAPS today. I have several to choose from, so I hope one of them carries the EL13 you mentioned. Wish me luck.
John