• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wanted Wanted: Trailer hitch for 1960 TR3-A

bereahorn

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just acquired this 1960 TR3-A and want to ad a trailer hitch. If anyone has one for sale please contact me. Thank you. John

Highflyer

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi John,
Are you sure you really want to pull something with a 3? -- That said, I did. I think you'll probably have to create the hitch yourself, as it's not real common car to tow with.

I've had my TR3 since high school and back then I had a motorcycle too, so believe it or not, I actually towed my bike from Oregon to Alabama with my TR3. I had to build the hitch myself (actually my body shop buddy did). He welded a T with the two sides of the top to the frame just behind the rear axle and then put a bolt through the hole in the aft most tubular crossmember and the stem of the T. (We used U channel, the top of the T was welded at the top of the U to the frame. The stem of the T, the U channel was turned over. I think that might have been to make it easier to attach it flat to the crossmember.) I would think any trailer or welding shop could do something similar pretty easily. You could probably do it as a bolt on if you wanted too.

Good luck

Bryan

Highflyer

Freshman Member
Country flag
one last comment: The hitch is really pretty low, so I had build a custom trailer for it too. -- The car's ground clearance is only 6 inches, so the hitch isn't much higher than that either. -- Just something to consider if you haven't.

OP
B

bereahorn

Freshman Member
Country flag
one last comment: The hitch is really pretty low, so I had build a custom trailer for it too. -- The car's ground clearance is only 6 inches, so the hitch isn't much higher than that either. -- Just something to consider if you haven't.
Bryan--Thanks for the reply. I have a Mini-Mate by Kompact Kamp which I pull behind two different BMW motorcycles and the axle weight is 260 lbs. I think the TR3 should be able to handle that. By being able to tow the camper it offers additional options for longer trips. Regards, John

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
John, My '59 TR3A had a trailer hitch when I got it in 1980. The story was a PO used it to tow their sailboat. It looks custom made and possibly a period kit. Note the nice body-matching curve to get some extra height for the hitch. Two bolts at the bottom plus some welds for attaching. Was going to take it off to look 'stock', but a pal said why not leave it for extra protection so it remains. Its actually pretty solid; the ball would have to be removed to get to the spare.

I took some shots today with my cell phone. Jeff TR3 Hitch_1.jpgTR3 Hitch_2.jpgTR3 Hitch_3.jpgTR3 Hitch_4.jpg

Last edited:

PeterK

Yoda
hitch593A.jpg I have a NOS Valley hitch for TR4-6 but the rear support requires two holes in the rear bumper bar (which 3s don't have). So whatever you do has to be supported at the rear, not just bolted to the rear frame members. Maybe you might tie into the bumper supports but be careful of tongue weight.

Here is a photo of a home made hitch from a 59 3A that I found online a few years ago.