Thread: Kidney stones anyone?

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Kidney stones anyone?

Interesting afternoon. Started out with a little discomfort which I put down to my recent Hernia repair. Had not had any problems but the discomfort was in that area.
    As the afternoon wore on it got worse then I had the cold sweat and much more discomfit. Ended up calling my wife to let her know I thought a visit to the emergency room was going to be needed.
    What a collection of humanity in the waiting room.

Several hours later I find I have a 5MM stone obstructing the flow. Pain meds and antibiotics and a trip to an urologist tomorrow.
    Fun afternoon/evening.

The pain meds work great wish the had given me those a bit earlier. Almost instant relief.
    This is my third in 35 years.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Re: Kidney stones anyone?

Kidney Stones are no fun. How's that for an understatment? However, I remembered an episode of Seinfeld:

“The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts

Dave - best wishes to you on the upcoming "procedure".

Your comment about "collection of humanity in the waiting room" reminded me of the courtroom scene in "What's Up Doc".

Bailiff and judge walk out to start the night court session. Judge looks at courtroom and says to bailiff "Look at them! Did you ever see such a collection of human debris and depravity?"

Bailiff says "Those are just the spectators."
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NutmegCT For This Useful Post:

waltesefalcon  (04-16-2019)

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Had several- my sympathy for you.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

Thank you.

Today has been fine no pain but no stone in the jar either. Took 1 Hydrocodone last night then at 3 am a couple of Advil. Want to stay off the hard stuff.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidApp View Post
    Thank you.

Today has been fine no pain but no stone in the jar either. Took 1 Hydrocodone last night then at 3 am a couple of Advil. Want to stay off the hard stuff.

David
    Hope you get over this soon with as little discomfort as possible. Hang in there!
    “The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention.” - Oscar Wilde

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Several years ago, I needed two operations to get rid of an impacted kidney stone. Catheter problems - trips to the ER -you don't wanna know. Thankfully, no repetitions to date. My first and only stone. I'm now taking potassium pills twice a day. Check with your urologist.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

The ER sent the scans and blood work to the urologist and he is reviewing them. Hope he gets on with it as I am ready to get rid of this stone. Had to resort to the hard stuff last night about 2 am.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have only had one, completely blocked flow. I went to lunch at a sub shop where you get your own fountain drink. It was a hot day and I slurped down a 24 oz. Diet Mountain Dew, then refilled and drank most of another one. 20 minutes after lunch I announce I am not feeling well and am heading home (which I never do). Halfway home I feel like I am going to be sick and hit the U-Stop in a semi seedy part of town. I am not a germaphobe, but the state of the bathroom didn't make me feel any better. Felt like something needed to come out one end or the other, but not much would, I did throw up a little bit.

There wasn't much going on at the little convenience store and I stayed in the bathroom for quite some time, feeling very very nauseous and weak and like l was going to blow up any second. Nobody knocked on the door or asked if I was ok and I began to have visions of my decomposing body being found on the quickee Mart floor days later.

Finally got it together enough for the final ten minute drive home.

Told the wife I felt like I had to go but couldn't she thought it was funny, until I said I better go to the emergency room. Two procedures needed. They gave me some wonderful medicine to keep me out of pain relief.
    Not much fun. I sympathize with any of you who have had problem.
    Last edited by glemon; 04-23-2019 at 09:07 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to glemon For This Useful Post:

waltesefalcon  (04-23-2019)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glemon View Post
    I sympathize with any of you who have had problem.
    Me too! Had stones once in my life (so far) and hope to never have them again. My wife had to drive me to the ER.

Obi Wan
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts

We were at dinner with friends and some how the subject of kidney stones came up. My wife says " It can't be worse than having a baby" Her friend replies "I have had babies and kidney stones and I would have babies any day of the week" you can keep the kidney stones. I added that at least when you are having a baby you know what is going on I thought I was on the way out.

David
    TR3A TS75524L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DavidApp View Post
    We were at dinner with friends and some how the subject of kidney stones came up. My wife says " It can't be worse than having a baby" Her friend replies "I have had babies and kidney stones and I would have babies any day of the week" you can keep the kidney stones. I added that at least when you are having a baby you know what is going on I thought I was on the way out.

David
    The other version of that is that women want more children but no one wants more kidney stones (Haven't worked up the courage to tell SWMBO this one yet)
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pass them on a regular basis. About twice a year I go through a period where I pass several over a couple of weeks. Biggest I have passed was the size and shape of a great northern bean. For some reason that one hardy hurt. Its the little "glass shard" ones that have me in PAIN!!!! ​I have a 1.8 cm one floating around in one kidney I hope never moves. Worst pain I have ever experienced in my life.
    Life is a lot more fun in a Little British Car

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Drink lots of water. I hope to never have one. Just had 24 oz cold water... now I have to happy without the hay.
    Mike
    66 TR4A