Thread: TR4 Weight Loss Program

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

TR4 Weight Loss Program

The driver and his lovely are down 25lbs from last fall. During the overhaul completed last spring 2018: The Dunlop 195/65-15 on 6" VTO wheels were replaced with Vredestein Sprint Classics 185/70-15 on 5.5" Panasports, 32lb. The stock radiator was replaced with an aluminum one, 13lb. The stock flywheel was replaced with a lightweight steel model, 19lbs. This week I will replace the stock battery with a Miata type, 16lb. All up about 105 lbs. I didn't count replacing the stock rods with Carrillos during the engine rebuild/heatup, probably a few pounds there (that were a joke).
    ex spec5 Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Re: TR4 Weight Loss Program

That is my next step with the TR250, especially want to take weight off the front. Aluminum engine end plates are being considered other things like those on your list. 100 pounds is nearly 5%, not too shabby.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does your aluminum radiator have higher capacity than stock? That will offset some of the weight savings. If you still have an original type generator and starter, one of the Denso mini alternators will save some pounds, and the gear starters are a weight saver as well. Headers will save some weight. I don't know if the alloy heads are still available, that will save nearly 30 lbs.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206 (daily driver)
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Alloy head, alloy water pump housing and tubular exhaust manifold would save weight on the engine in addition to what you have listed.
    Dave

TR4 CT8097LO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The Wizard aluminum radiator looks to have the same dimensions as the original, so I assume capacity is the same. The car has a gear reduction starter, a GM alternator conversion (years ago) and tube headers. I will be installing a Denso alternator on a 1600 Alfa engine going into in my old sports/racer. If it looks like it can be easily adapted I will fabricate some bits and install in the TR, the GM is quite large and a bit of a lump. I purchased the Wizard without the fill neck, should make alternator work a bit easier. The alloy head would be nice and like the Miata battery it would reduce the weight where it is needed the most for good handling, up high. I want the car to be reliable, and not knowing anything about the alloy head I decided against it. The cars occupants will probably drop another 10 lb the next month or two if the primary driver can refrain from summer beer drinking.
    ex spec5 Mark

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wizard says:

Aluminum is a much stronger and more durable material compared to brass. This allows aluminum radiator cores to feature larger, “skinner” tubes which allow a greater volume of coolant to enter the core and be cooled.

I never measured to see how much volume difference there was.

I've had my alloy head for over 15 years, no problems, though I don't put very many miles on my car. But for the last 5 years it has had a supercharger, and no issues with that, either.
    Darrell Walker
    66 TR4A IRS-SC CTC67956L
    81 TR8 SATPZ458XBA406206 (daily driver)
    Vancouver, WA, USA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

The aluminum head is a temptation, but I am going to just drive this year, next winter I will try to finish the sport/racer; maybe after that if I don't come up with another project. I have been working with sheet aluminum quite a bit on the S/R restoration, wheeling, shrinking and annealing, it does move heat very quickly.
    ex spec5 Mark