• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Notre Dame Cathedral - Paris - on fire

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Just tragic to watch. Thankfully no one hurt, but what a mess

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The loss is of history and culture is gutwrenching. They will be able to repair the physical damage but it will never be restored to what it was yesterday.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The loss of a very old friend.

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
The loss is of history and culture is gutwrenching. They will be able to repair the physical damage but it will never be restored to what it was yesterday.

Unfathonable how much art and history was destroyed that will never be replaced.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Not sure why this article is posted, after PD asks what caused the Notre Dame fire. Might be related, might not. A bit too early to make this connection.

Tom M.

Wasn’t replying specifically to PD (why I didn’t hit reply or quote in his thread), just a general reply to the thread. I’m simply pointing out that Churches all over France have been subject to fires and other forms of damage. Whether this latest fire was intentional or accidental remains to be seen, but either way, it compounds the pain the Church has seen in recent months in France.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That Yahoo article is an excellent overview. Thanks for posting it.

Something just popped into what's left of my mind. The book "Is Paris Burning?", when von Choltitz disobeyed orders to destroy the city after the withdrawal of German troops in summer of 1944. Just after Liberation, de Gaulle went to Notre Dame for a mass. The sound of gunfire was heard during the celebration, as snipers and Vichy troops continued attacks.

de Gaulle.jpg

Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That Yahoo article is an excellent overview. Thanks for posting it.

Tom M.

I thought it was a pretty good synopsis. "Survived the French Revolution, Survived WWII" (and more recently it escaped a failed bombing attempt in Sept 2016). But Paris and France have vowed to rebuild and at least one Billionare, François-Henri Pinault (CEO of Kering which owns Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent), has vowed to donate $100 Million towards the rebuilding.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
This morning they said they had a restoration crew working on the cathedral. You can see the scaffold in some pictures. Hope it was something accidental, instead of carelessness.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This morning they said they had a restoration crew working on the cathedral. You can see the scaffold in some pictures. Hope it was something accidental, instead of carelessness.

I've also read reports that there were not supposed to have been workers on the cathedral at that time, so who knows. Time will (hopefully) tell what the specific cause was. Regardless what the initial cause, I have to wonder whether all that scaffolding all around the building didn't make things buck worse?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What a tragic fire. I hope they can find suitable artisans today to rebuild it.

A radio news reporter was saying this morning that Notre Dame Cathedral was started in 1160 and took 2 years to complete. I think he was off by about 198 years.

David

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
What a tragic fire. I hope they can find suitable artisans today to rebuild it.

A radio news reporter was saying this morning that Notre Dame Cathedral was started in 1160 and took 2 years to complete. I think he was off by about 198 years.

David

Yep - he was definitely off by a lot!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just read that donations to rebuild Notre Dame have reached over 420 Million Euros (about $370 Million US dollars)