• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Windshield and Wheeler Dealers

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sitting just now and watching Wheeler Dealers. They are doing a 1973 Saab 9-6. The windshield was cracked so they went to a guy - (This in California BTW) - with a massive auto glass warehouse. They literally walked around with the glass until they found a windshield with the same profile (Impala) and then, in the shop cut it down to fit with a glass cutter, a propane torch and some flammable liquid. It was absolutely amazing.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I saw that one too. Didn't know you could do that!

dklawson

Yoda
I was wondering how they knew that the compound curvature was a good match to what the SAAB needed. I'd like to think the guy has a database that helps with such things... but maybe it's all in his memory.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If it is in his head I hope someone coddleshim for the rest of his hopefully long life!

what I was thinking too!

I have seen/ read stories of people chopping their hot rods - and hence their windshields. Much to do with string and fire and buying extra windshields - this seemed quite easy (assuming of course you knew what you were doing and what fit.

In terms of the knowledge, I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to create such a data base - I suspect manufacturers already have it - though not necessarily in usable form.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Why are those shops always in California or England? I don't know if CT even has any machine shops left that could work on an engine. There seem to be a few fancy high-priced places catering to the 1% and that's about it. Are there shops in your area that could do line boring, head shaving and all the other engine work that you see on TV?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Why are those shops always in California or England? I don't know if CT even has any machine shops left that could work on an engine. There seem to be a few fancy high-priced places catering to the 1% and that's about it. Are there shops in your area that could do line boring, head shaving and all the other engine work that you see on TV?

I think so, There are a couple of engine shops (I have used 3, 2 locally - mind you Toronto is a big place) I have not had them do anything but boil the block and measure since I like to rebuild myself. I will say there is a local carb shop - I haven't used them but I think it is carlos and Carlos - both getting long in the tooth with no one to take over, and, I know of one machine shop that just closed - the owner was both tired of the hassles and of being stiffed.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

I can think of two that can. We have a fairly robust Sprint car culture around here and the local shops will cater to their needs.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
There used to be probably a dozen or more machine shops around here. Now there are two that I know of. The last two I worked with are both gone, and too bad, nice guys to work with and reasonable. I don't think newer stuff is rebuilt much anymore, it is more often a sensor or electrical issue. The last guy I used said he mostly re-did warped aluminum heads and not too much else on modern stuff.

I saw that Wheeler Dealer's too, the windshield guy just seemed to have an eye for the curve. Pretty amazing, both the picking out and the carving it to shape.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
We have a really good machine shop not too far away. About 20 years ago, I had him do my Austin 3000 engine. When he was done, he said he would never do another one. A couple of years ago, one of our club members went to him to ask if he would do his Austin 3000 engine and he said "No."

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Not windshields but, British Car TV (which is Mostly Waaaay better than North American Car TV) - one show I kind of like is the Motorcycle Show, while on holiday, they were restoring (I think) a Triumph something or another.

More to the point they sent the speedometer away to be rebuilt and the rebuilder used a strap wrench to remove the bezel holding the glass in place.

Top Tip thinks I

34727_photo.jpg