• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1993 xj v12 red hot catalytic converter

Tino

Freshman Member
[h=2]1993 xj v12 red hot catalytic converter[/h]
any idea started the car, idling at 2000 rpm little high but usually, then slow dropped down to 1300 and felt had no power. only 6 cylinders working and cat was getting red hot...is clogged cat or bad sensor car has only 75k miles...thanks for any help

Thanks David & Larry ..Find the forum....
Tino​

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You actually have two six cylinders, check for spark at the bank you think is bad, then the other. Check MAF sensor on hot side, there is a cleaner for MAFs being careful not to blow out wires. Check TPS sensor, check inside distributor cap. If spark on one side coil should be fine. Thenmore you get cat red hot will actually ruin it and clog possibly ruining engine, that is whybwe recommend tow. Find a manual if you don't have one.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Your car has the Marelli ignition system. It has a unique, dual rotor, where one is stacked above the other. They had a tendency of shorting out. Check the rotor, look up Kirby Palms book on the XJS, (free on line) and read up about it.

The bad new is that the cat may be cooked (pun intended), and needs to be taken care of.

OP
T

Tino

Freshman Member
Thanks for all your help..Find Bad distributor Rotor and Bad Distributor Cap...But still can't get to shift from park, any association with bad bank future will prevent from using the car ??
Tino Sr.

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
It is possible that the shift cable's lining melted and fused the inner cable to the housing.

OP
T

Tino

Freshman Member
I will look close up after installed the new parts.I was on the same track after seen the Cat so Hot.. I received the Distributor Cap with no gasket...Should I use little silicon the same kind I will use to help isolate the Rotor ??
Thanks
Tino

OP
T

Tino

Freshman Member
Installed Cap & Rotor Engine runs fine , but still can shift..The shift is not moving even when I override, but I hear the solenoid engaging when push on brake pedal ..
If the cable is melted can I give a good pool or need to go under the carriage. Car can't be towed the way is parked.