• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1993 xj v12 red hot catalytic converter

Tino

Freshman Member
any idea started the car, idling at 2000 rpm little high but usually, then slow dropped down to 1300 and felt had no power. only 6 cylinders working and cat was getting red hot...is clogged cat or bad sensor car has only 75k miles...thanks for any help

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Tino

Welcome to the forum.

You should try posting in the Jaguar section of the forum. I am sure someone there will be able to help with your Hot Cat.

Post some photos of your XJ v12

David

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
First of all, welcome, there is a lot of wisdom here! You may want to repost the question in the Jag forum as this part of the board is mostly for introductions.

That said, I suspect the issue is the 6 or 12 cylinders firing. I had a Mazda 6 with a V6 - drove it on a very very damp day with not all the cylinders firing. raw and partly combusted Gas was therefore washing down the cylinder walls and into the exhaust. Got to my destination, cat was red hot - and I had ruined the engine.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Was about to post the same about the gas being sent into the exhaust unburnt and eventually burning in the cat.

David

OP
T

Tino

Freshman Member
Thanks David, how do I get to the Jaguar forum...

Hello Tino

Welcome to the forum.

You should try posting in the Jaguar section of the forum. I am sure someone there will be able to help with your Hot Cat.

Post some photos of your XJ v12

David

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Look farther down the listings until you see Jaguar, and we'll see if we can talk you thru the diagnostics. Not a hard car to figure, but a lot of work to get there. Whatever you do, do not continually get the cats red hot.

OP
T

Tino

Freshman Member
Thanks Larry , My idea was to disconnect the power going to each 6 injectors so will have no gas to dump...and take from there ..I need top move the car , is at work parking lot..Just took the cover off the engine and surpising I sow Mouse residuals from my engine Liner...I am going to look for damaged Wires.

Look farther down the listings until you see Jaguar, and we'll see if we can talk you thru the diagnostics. Not a hard car to figure, but a lot of work to get there. Whatever you do, do not continually get the cats red hot.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Let's get down to the Jaguar forum as not to take space in new members forum. You probably should tow. See you below.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Mice/rodents can do a number on the wiring. A tow or flatbed would be the cheapest option. If you have wiring damage you may end up with a fire half way home if you drive.

David