• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Computer Memory Upgrade

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
My Toshiba lap top only has 4 gig of memory, it will take up to 16 gig, which are available, what will be the benefit of this upgrade? PJ

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
There may be no benefit. It depends on how close you get to the limit of what you have. Running Task Manager in Windows or System Monitor in Linux while you have all the programs you normally have running will give you an idea of what you need.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Greg. :encouragement:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Also depends on what you are doing with it at the time. Working with things like high resolution scanned documents can take a lot, while just surfing the web and checking email takes much less.

When current usage starts getting close to to what you have for physical memory, the system will start trying to move less used sections to the hard drive. Since access time for the hard drive can be 100,000 times longer or more, it doesn't take very many misses for things to slow way down.

If you are looking for more performance, look into replacing the hard drive with SSD. They fit the same, so any laptop can make the change, and the performance difference is substantial.

Last edited:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you are looking for more performance, look into replacing the hard drive with SSD. They fit the same, so any laptop can make the change, and the perfoance difference is substantial.

:iagree: I'll second that.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Also depends on what you are doing with it at the time. Working with things like high resolution scanned documents can take a lot, while just surfing the web and checking email takes much less.
You might be surprised about web browsers. Chrome uses North of a gig with 4 tabs open. I stopped using Firefox years ago because it was a real resource hog.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
You might be surprised about web browsers. Chrome uses North of a gig with 4 tabs open. I stopped using Firefox years ago because it was a real resource hog.

I find this with Chrome - is there an efficient alternative?