• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

In 2008 a brand new Steam Locomotive was built

D

Deleted member 8987

and, what I have read over the years, the boiler has been a bit of a problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Peppercorn_Class_A1_60163_Tornado

[h=3][/h]Consideration of the boiler began in late 1998.[SUP][40][/SUP] No standard gauge boiler had been built in Britain since the 1960s[SUP][39][/SUP] for such a large express locomotive. It was required to be based on the original LNER Diagram 118 design, but had to meet modern safety standards.[SUP][39][/SUP] Design changes included the cheaper modern-day fabrication method of a welded, rather than riveted, firebox and boiler tube;[SUP][39][/SUP] the use of steel, rather than copper, for the firebox;[SUP][39][/SUP] and the aforementioned height reduction for OLE regulations.
While manufacturing facilities still existed in Britain to manufacture such a large boiler,[SUP][41][/SUP] because of the design differences from the originals the trust required a supplier with specific experience of designing, building and certification of steam engine boilers to modern safety regulations,[SUP][39][/SUP] as required by the European Union's Pressure Equipment Directive.[SUP][42][/SUP]

Meiningen Steam Locomotive Works, 2005

In early 2002, the Deutsche Bahn Meiningen Steam Locomotive Works in Germany was identified as a suitable supplier.[SUP][39][/SUP] It possessed the required knowledge as mainline steam operation had continued in East Germany until the mid-1980s,[SUP][27][/SUP] 70% of its work still involved steam, and it still possessed the powerful plate roller machines. The trust did not have sufficient funding to place the order until January 2005.[SUP][27][/SUP]
On 16 July 2006 the boiler arrived by sea and was unloaded at Darlington with a 200-ton crane, having taken just nine months to build.[SUP][29][/SUP] The fitting of the 21-ton firebox and boiler unit to the wheeled locomotive frame was said to have been a perfect fit, requiring no grinding at all, a tribute to the accuracy of the design and construction by the Meiningen works.[SUP][41][/SUP] The fitting was not without incident though, as the extra weight caused some compaction of the track bed, and assistance was required to move the locomotive back into the works, by a combination of being winched, towed by a forklift truck and pushed with Land Rovers.[SUP][41][/SUP]
A further modification to the boiler design has been the use of hollow stays. The stays support and separate the outer boiler and inner firebox. The hollow stays act as an indicator of any cracks in the otherwise inaccessible stays, such cracks being revealed by water leaks. Leaks have in fact been detected and have led to the locomotive being unavailable for service. In July 2010 while replacement stays were fitted, Mark Allatt, chairman, The A1 Steam Locomotive Trust, commented "Although the problems with Tornado’s boiler are part of learning about the locomotive in today’s operational environment, they are a source of great disappointment to all of Tornado's supporters and customers and our customers' passengers. We are working as hard as we can to bring Tornado back to full health as soon as possible and back onto the main line where she belongs." [SUP][43][/SUP]

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm guessing the phrase "sheer hard graft" means something different in British than it does in American. Anyone care to elucidate?

The video didn't seem to make it clear: There's not really anything exceptional about 100 mph on steam. The 1906 land speed record was set by a steam-powered car at 127 mph; legend has it that the same driver was doing over 140 the next year (in a better prepared car) when his car became airborne and flipped. Incredibly (especially given the safety standards of the day), he survived (but never attempted a speed record again).

The Flying Scotsman steam locomotive did a verified 100 mph in 1938; later locomotives were supposedly much faster.
https://www.flyingscotsman.org.uk/scotsmans-100mph-driver/

Supposedly, a technician investigating poppet valve failures on Pennsylvania T1 steam locomotives said it was because engineers were running them as fast as 140 mph ; but this was never independently confirmed. The PRR decided to switch to diesel rather than try to solve the problems with the T1.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Railroad_class_T1

Interesting videos, though. Thanks David!

D

Deleted member 8987

Big problem with the T-1 was rigid wheelbase. Lots of places it could not go...period.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My understanding of "sheer hard graft" would be hard physical work.

It was just that it is/was a new locomotive and needed to prove it could run at 90 mph so it could continue to be run on main line rails.

The Mallard was the top speed record holder at 125 mph or 126 as the plate on the locomotive stated. It showed 126 for a single second on the speed recording graph.

David

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a very cool initiative. If I lived in Britain I would donate, patronize, and apply for one of the vacancies.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well you don't have to be British to support such an initiative. There is a consortium group here in the USA that is working toward and already made significant progress in following Tornado's footsteps with constructing a new build of the previously mentioned Pennsylvania T1. Their web site at https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org has all the details on what they have accomplished so far and how to donate. They are hoping to be able to set a new steam loco speed record and also provide a new, reliable engine that can perform steam excursion service since so many period/antique engines are becoming unusable (heck here in Austin there is a smaller steam loco that is part way through a rebuild because major components are failing, and even then they were limited to low traffic branch line excursions).

Of course all of this looks like small fry compared to Union Pacific's restoration of the massive Big Boy that should hit the rails in a couple months. Of course Union Pacific has the resources (both financial and more importantly physical) to pull that off, and it still took many years. Tornado took over a decade to go from idea to reality, the T1 folks are hoping to complete by 2030.

I'm planning to do a donation to the T1 build because I think its insanely cool, and I'm trying to work out how to send a donation to England to help the Great Central Railway folks complete their big project of reconnecting the 2 remaining shards of former mainline into a unified 18 or so mile run (you see bits and pieces of Great Central on the Tornado vids because that is where they ran the inital tests).

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Yakko, thanks for the link to the T1 site, I will certainly be donating to that one. I have been following the restoration of 4014 since the UP bought it and relocated it and am waiting with abated breath for it to hit the rails for the first time.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I love steam engines! Reminds me when I was a kid around the end of WWII and setting by a crossing guards station where an elderly lady would hold a flag to stop traffic when the train was comming, (before automatic gates and signal lights were installed :wink-new:smile: and feeling the ground shake, the noise, and smell of burning coke coal, these were working engines pulling cattle cars and coal. The engineer always waved at us kids, to us he was something special. Wonderful memories, shame the kids later missed that when diesel-electric pushed the steam engines out. :encouragement:

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My understanding of "sheer hard graft" would be hard physical work.

It was just that it is/was a new locomotive and needed to prove it could run at 90 mph so it could continue to be run on main line rails.

The Mallard was the top speed record holder at 125 mph or 126 as the plate on the locomotive stated. It showed 126 for a single second on the speed recording graph.

David

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

What isn't often mentioned is that shortly after Mallard made its 125 MPH run, the valve gear suffered a pretty catastrophic failure and had to be rebuilt. Made for a bit of controversy over whether the record should strand or not with the Germans who had a loco that ran a measured 124 without damage.