• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

FYI

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Finally we get to discuss current events on this forum! Thank you :grin: and don't tell Basil!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looking at that photo, the solder appears to be more appropriate for plumbing work! Instrument/electronics solder is MUCH thinner. As for what they call a soldering "iron"... I was taught that size tool is a soldering pencil. An "iron" looks more like what was put into a flame and weighed about a pound at its end. More for doing lead bodywork than fine electronics.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Amazes me that we still use a 5000 year old technique on 21st century electronics. The heat source has change from fire to electrical resistance, but the result is the same.

loetoezi.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Scale is a bit different as well. :wink:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have one of these out in the shed, works great.
Antique-Soldering-Iron-With-Copper-Tip-And-Wood.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rather than relying on a computer, I've a Variac for temp control with a couple Unger soldering pencils for small electronics work. And a couple Weller guns for heavier automotive stuff. One of the Wellers is older than I am!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
they had electricity then? :smile:

Not sure. But it looks like a Buck Rogers ray gun and has a kite with a key attached. :smirk:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
... As for what they call a soldering "iron"... I was taught that size tool is a soldering pencil. ....
Can't disagree with the logic.

But since every manufacturer of them, Weller, Hakko, Pace, etc, etc,... calls them irons, I'll stick with the convention.

.... An "iron" looks more like what was put into a flame and weighed about a pound at its end. More for doing lead bodywork than fine electronics.
We had those in jr. high metal shop. They had their own little furnace, separate from the one we used for forging, to heat them up. Used them for soldering in sheet metal fab.

If anybody called them soldering irons the instructor would rant at them because the heads on the ones we had were made of copper. He insisted we call them soldering coppers.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The iron vs pencil thing, and the iron vs copper thing, remind me of another inherited term.

"On tonight's news, we'll show some footage of the race at Wimbledon."

But if it's digital - it isn't footage! (it's tracks or minutes?)

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
The iron vs pencil thing, and the iron vs copper thing.....
To me it's like the motor vs. engine thing. Whichever you use everybody knows what you're talking about. So it's pointless to get into a heated debate.

... remind me of another inherited term.

"On tonight's news, we'll show some footage of the race at Wimbledon."

But if it's digital - it isn't footage! (it's tracks or minutes?)
You can still use "film at eleven!"

Flash memory is made by layering and etching thin films of various semiconductors and conductors.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I haven't seen Kung Fu in a day or two now.