• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

YouTube to the rescue again!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I know we had a thread a while back about how YouTube has helped folks over the years with how to fix things. Welll, YouTube came through again! Lately my 19 year old Kenmore HE3 front loading washing machine would stop mid-cycle and give an error code F02. It didn't take long to determine it was not draining properly, most likely due to a clogged "Drain Trap" that catches all the junk that you don't want going into your sewer system and clogging things up there.

Luckily, the fix was very easy - just popped the bottom cover off (3 torx screws) and the drain trap was right there in the front with an easy to unscrew "trap" that just unscrewed and pulled right out. Sure enough, it was VERY clogged! (AFter 19 years I'm not surprised). A guick clean of the trap and reinstalled it, now the thing drains like new!

I wonder what it would have cost to have a Sears Maintenace guy come out and do this job. I'm guessing north of $200. Now I still have to replace the rear main drum bearing (that's a bit more work, but there's a video for that too). It still spins, but it getting noisiy on high-speed spin. Probably will replace the belt just as a matter of principle while I'm in there.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I forget, did I report that my expensive refrigerator failed... with the screen showing wavy lines in blue? Went to YouTube (and another tech site) and was assured that the main circuit board had failed (likely a large electrolytic capacitor on that board that I probably could have replaced for $3). I was in a hurry (being a frig) so I was required to turn in the old board as a core, and got a new board here in town. This board was in a special panel at the back of the frig and was easy to swap out! Ta-da... back in service. All told maybe $200 vs. a house-call (with a likely seriously marked up board). I'll bet I saved a good $300+ (and I know I couldn't have gotten them to come out that fast). I've never repaired a refrigerator (and surely wouldn't have had it been refrigerant lines or the compressor).
I love YouTube!
[this board is about 6"x8" and had a mere 4 plugs to reconnect it]

2019-03-10 13.15.17-2.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Youtube is a good place to find some information on how to repair these new fangled gadgets we have in our lives. I have used it before to tell me how to replace the headlights on my Toyota because I couldn't wiggle them out in the space I had, it turns out I had to remove the entire front bumper assembly. Who that that was a good idea.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Youtube is a good place to find some information on how to repair these new fangled gadgets we have in our lives. I have used it before to tell me how to replace the headlights on my Toyota because I couldn't wiggle them out in the space I had, it turns out I had to remove the entire front bumper assembly. Who that that was a good idea.

The driver side headlight on wife’s BMW Z4 is out and like your Toyota, I have to remove the entire front bumper to repair. Arggg!!

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I remember when I was a kid and helped a neighbor replace a tail light on a (I Think) 58 Olds. We had to remove the heavy steel rear bumper. And those bolts had lock nuts and they were tight.

Country flag
If it's difficult, most won't attempt it but return to a dealer since independent mechanics seem a dying breed. I suspect it could be a deliberate attempt at increasing revenue streams for the make.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I know we had a thread a while back about how YouTube has helped folks over the years with how to fix things. Welll, YouTube came through again! Lately my 19 year old Kenmore HE3 front loading washing machine would stop mid-cycle and give an error code F02. It didn't take long to determine it was not draining properly, most likely due to a clogged "Drain Trap" that catches all the junk that you don't want going into your sewer system and clogging things up there.
You were lucky! Mine is less than 10 years old, and the bearings in the water pump went bad. It would start to drain, then throw an error. Cleaning the trap didn't help.

Now the door gasket is ruined by mold, and I'm going to replace it with a $50 part from Amazon. Should be lots of fun.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
The driver side headlight on wife’s BMW Z4 is out and like your Toyota, I have to remove the entire front bumper to repair. Arggg!!
Removing the bumper won't do it. The Z4 has an access panel in the wheelwell. Remove it and bulb replacement is really very easy.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Had to replace the serpentine belt and tensioner on my 6-cyl Subaru. The book only shows the belt routing for the 4-cyl. YouTube to the rescue.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You can usually tell in the first 15 seconds if it is going to be helpful or a lot of junk.

Doing a job with the help of You Tube I had to go through 3 or 4 videos before I found one that looked like it was made by someone who knew what they were doing.

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
You can usually tell in the first 15 seconds if it is going to be helpful or a lot of junk.

Doing a job with the help of You Tube I had to go through 3 or 4 videos before I found one that looked like it was made by someone who knew what they were doing.

David

The videos I hate are the automotive how-too videos where they go through a procedure but there is no narration, only music. I want to hear someone describe what they ar doing and why at each step.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Removing the bumper won't do it. The Z4 has an access panel in the wheelwell. Remove it and bulb replacement is really very easy.

The problem isn't a bad bulb - that's easy peasy. The problem is a control module (or connections on said module) that sits under the headlamp assembly. Can't get to it without removing the bumper.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shortly after acquiring the Camry (and purchasing the 'official' shop manuals -- $80!) I decided to go through the car and renew whatever needed attention. The "dogbone" anti-torque shock absorber at the front of the engine, air filter, the cabin air filter. Small stuff, right? Disconnected the battery to be 'safe' while accessing the air filter, did the rest of the tasks and thought it best to test drive it to see if all was good. Nope. Stalled at every stop sign! Got out the repair manuals and began an odyssey of traveling thru flow charts. Decided to look on YouTube for a hint and there found the ten minute answer: the ECM was reset to defaults when disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, but the throttle body had a buildup of fine dirt at the blade's idle position and over time the ECM compensated for the ever slightly changing air restriction. "Fly-by-Wire" control of the throttle blade. The fix was to clean the crud in the throttle body!

If there's an issue with any vehicle I'm not familiar with, YouTube is my first 'go-to' for hints or answers now.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sure glad I invented it.

And, you're welcome.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
May I kiss your ring? :smirk:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I ain't that high up the food chain... :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:lol: Love ya, Bro!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Back at ya, Bubba!

To swing us back on track, we've recently traded our travel trailer for a motor home. Yeah, we've lost our minds! But YouTube has been indispensable for info regarding flattening the learning curve. And to top it off, we also bought a tow vehicle to pull behind it. Flat towing is something I've never done, and there's a lot to prepping the tow vehicle - tow bar, mounting plate, wiring, braking system. YouTube has provided everything I needed to hook all that up.

We'll be hitting the road before too long; looking forward to it!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
YouTube came in useful this past weekend, neighbor's Altima radiator developed a leak. The replacement seemed daunting just looking at how the thing was crammed in there. Did a YouTube search and saw the "short version" procedure. Couple hours later it was done.

BTW: Comin' this direction any time soon?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
BTW: Comin' this direction any time soon?

Entirely possible. Retirement, ya know!

Our first long trip will be to N. O. for part of the Jazz Fest and to get our annual fix of Cajun/Creole cuisine. Not sure where the next one will take us.

You'll be the first to know...