• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Agent 355 & the CIVIL WAR?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I'm watching a show on Netflix about unsolved mysteries and they had a segment about an unknown female spy known to history only as "Agent 355." She was a spy during the Revolutionary War, but the geniuses who produced this show kept showing clips of Civil War reenactments as they were talking about the Revolutionary War. Perhaps they figured people would not notice.

D

Deleted member 8987

yet those of us old enough to have seen both of those wars know the difference, right?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
D

Deleted member 8987

Heck, how many WWII movies have you seen where the hero loads up into a B-17, take off is a DC-3, and cruise in formation is B-24's?

Or December 1941 warships with radar antennas all over the superstructure?

Remember the guy in the opening scenes of In Harm's Way, wakes up on the beach with the XO's wife, takes off in his (looks like) 1941 Lincoln Continental Convertible, gets run off the road....and watch the crash.

46-7-8 Ford convertible with a continental kit screwed on the deck lid.

What's the position? "Continuity"? Sure doesn't work.

How about one of the older Scrooge movies, where he wakes up free and clear of the ghosts, starts dancing around, and in one mirror in the corner is a full length stage hand in modern clothing?

It's all entertainment, and I usually avoid it.

However, taking the grand daughters to see Ralph wrecking the Internet was fun.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I like the old movie scenes where the 1957 Buick is racing down the mountain road and ends up going over the edge. The next scene is a un upside down Rambler burning at the bottom.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I like the old movie scenes where the 1957 Buick is racing down the mountain road and ends up going over the edge. The next scene is a un upside down Rambler burning at the bottom.

I took these screen shots from the movie "Twister." It one scene, the windshield of the truck is badly smashed by flying farm equimpent.

twister1.JPG
Then, like magic, in the next scene, the windshield has repaired itself! (And the side mirrors are different)

twister2.JPG

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think the biggest difference between continuity goofs in movies and serious historical inaccuracies in something purporting to be a documentary is that the former is strictly entertainment and the latter is supposed to be educational. I sometimes find some really good documentaries on Netflix as well as on Amazon prime, however, many are complete rubbish.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I was recently clicking through a slide show on a tabloid web site that purported to show famous actors and actresses, other personalities, etc., as thay have aged. Basically "then and now" pictures. Here is the before and after pictures they had for actor James Lipton. Anyone spot the problem?

Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.40.37 AM.jpg

Country flag
While the spoken text in many cases isn't bad it seems like the person putting together film to accompany it has said to an assistant, "get me film of an aircraft carrier, plans dropping bombs and stuff exploding", and none of them know enough to recognize what is correct or close enough to what they're talking about.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Lipton looked an awful lot like an older Edward G. Robinson when he was younger.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I watch a lot of AHC's programs and have been surprised at the inconsistencies in footage vs. timeframe, different aircraft depicted as TOC noted:
TOC said:
Heck, how many WWII movies have you seen where the hero loads up into a B-17, take off is a DC-3, and cruise in formation is B-24's?

Viet Nam depictions where an F-4 comes in on a gun run and next shot is an A-7... supposedly the same run. Overdubbed sound tracks of line chatter totally bogus, machine guns firing in a scene and rate of fire is completely wrong. Nevermind the soundtracks where the battle footage was most likely made with hand-wound 'field' cameras, no sound recording capability possible. Credibility gone for a chop.