• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Koni Shocks Installation

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I found a very reasonably priced used Koni kit on eBay and bought the kit.

I have a question: Do you remove the shock valve from the original shock?

I know that I did with the Putzke kit that I have on my other Healey! Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Re: koni shock installation

Yes, remove the plug, extract the valve assembly__and any shims fitted__then replace the plug and some oil (unless you did it on the bench, and didn't lose any oil ;) ).

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

thanks, randy!!! i miss the old z3 days in greenville!!!

Country flag

Yes, we do too! Had an opportunity to talk with a few of the old faithful here lately, and we all miss those days. We were fortunate to have been able to partake with BMW's generosity ($25, then later $35 registration per car, for everything they did for us, and all the banquets and gifts).

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

i did not receive any instructions with the kit and still have a ouple of questions> does the lower mount for the koni shock go on top of or below the control arm. and which direction is the actual shock mount arm turned….up or down?

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had briefly installed one of these kits on loan a while ago.

I believe the lower mount installs across the bottom of the spring pan with spacers for clearance, requiring approximately 1/2"-longer bolts.

IIRC the shock mount points up. You can verify this by extending the shock tube all the way and measuring the center-to-center on the mounts, then installing the top mount and measuring the fully extended point of where the lower shock mount would be. If the lower mount is upside down, I don't believe the shock tube will extend that far. I believe the spring may interfere if you try to bolt the lower mount across the top of the lower A-arm.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thank you steve. I had come to this conclusion . and yes it will interfere with the spring mounted on top. do you know of any way to pick a more modern externally adjustable shock to replace the early internally adjustable shock! I called koni but they offered no help.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Shouldn't be hard to find shocks that will fit. Compress and extend a Koni to determine the minimum and maximum lengths.

I've had Spax shocks for 10 years. They're externally adjustable. BP Northwest used to sell them but may have changed brands.

Check with the usual suppliers: Tom's Import Toys, BCS, Healey Surgeons. Moss sells tube shock kits for Triumphs so the TR6 shocks might fit.

Addendum: TR6 shocks won't fit - you need the ones with eyes at top and bottom for your Koni kit.

Last edited:
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I finally have the drivers side in place. I believe that it is correct. after replacing the front wire wheel hubs with disc sheel hubs I still have a bit to do. ...new brake lines, shims for the bearings, steel line to the flex line bracket was missing, make new pipes flexline to the calipher. etc. every time I look to correct something a new can of worms develop. well most of it is stuff that I would replace or rebuild anyway! part of the "learning curve of enjoyment" and at almost 79 something to keep me active!!!

Attachments

• Resized_20190406_080425.jpg
    Resized_20190406_080425.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 73
OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
no just the regular healey lever shocks. ill be looking for a kit for the rear....I have the putze kit on my other bn6 and am very pleased with it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That Koni kit looks very similar to what was fitted to the cars built from kits in South Africa. There is a guy in British Columbia that has a CKD South African built car. He was parked next to me in 2017 and showed that setup to me.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
So the rear Koni conversion is for the 2 + 2 seat configuration.

It should work on the 2 seaters, too. Mine is a Cape setup, which is similar. I had to bend the angled plates a little because the angle of the transom is slightly different on the 2 seater. The right-angled box area above and behind the axle is the same on both. The supplied shocks were perhaps 1/2" too short for the 2 seater setup and the lower mounts flexed and eventually broke. Make sure your shocks are long enough when extended to accommodate the lower axle when it is resting on the frame cushions.

CapeShockUpperMount.jpg
screenshot.1650.jpg
screenshot.1651.jpg

Last edited:

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
I believe I have the same Koni conversion. I removed mine from my 100 and installed new lever shocks. I want to see if I like the feel without them. I’m going to drive the car for a few weeks and make a decision.

37392020-2904-48C7-98BC-598EB0749B68.jpeg

Attachments

• 87380815-7767-46CC-8FFC-FB76F24363A4.jpeg
    87380815-7767-46CC-8FFC-FB76F24363A4.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 70

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I believe I have the same Koni conversion. I removed mine from my 100 and installed new lever shocks. I want to see if I like the feel without them. I’m going to drive the car for a few weeks and make a decision.
Let us know how your test goes.