• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Last night was rough!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We bought some small personal microwavable pizzas the other day (at Costco) and last night I had a couple of them.

I spent the rest of the night with trouble at both ends! Oh what a misserabe night! Feeling better this morning but didn't get much sleep.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That can be a really bad night. Hope you are OK now.
Been there. Works cafeteria fish.

Could it have been a package that got abandoned somewhere in the store then put back in the freezer?

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That can be a really bad night. Hope you are OK now.
Been there. Works cafeteria fish.

Could it have been a package that got abandoned somewhere in the store then put back in the freezer?

David

Could have been. No idea. Got them out of the refrigerated area at Costco, but who knows where they were stored before that. Needless to say, the rest of them went into the bin! Haven't been that sick in a long time! I'm feeling much better this morning

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good thing you threw them out so no one else gets sick.... the Domino effect.

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
.... the rest of them went into the bin! ...
If you don't mind fishing the box out of the trash, bring it back to Costco for a refund. They're really good about that.

I bought some of their packaged (refrigerated but not frozen) chicken a while back and when I opened the package it had obviously, as chef Ramsey says, "gone off." I tossed the chicken, rinsed the bag and brought it back.

They cheerfully refunded the cost. They did request that if something like that should happen again they prefer to get the contents too. Nasty as it can be, it helps give them and idea what might need to be fixed.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
and of course, if you return it to Costco, they can search for similar items and remove them from the shelves!

Had that happen with fresh chicken a few years ago. Removed the clear wrap - and great unpleasantness was released. Took it back, produce manager's eyes got big as saucers, and he removed all the chicken from that batch.

Package may look clean, date may be fine - but you never know its past history. As Mother Jefferson once said:

Scrub that ox tail before you put it in.
'cause you never know where that ox tail's been.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Both my wife and I got bad pizza (must have had drano in it) in an airport before a long flight. Multiple trips to the lavatory and a stewardess who noticed thankfully directing us to the closer first class head. Miserable day with an audience.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Both my wife and I got bad pizza (must have had drano in it) in an airport before a long flight. Multiple trips to the lavatory and a stewardess who noticed thankfully directing us to the closer first class head. Miserable day with an audience.

Back when my wife and I had only been married a year and a half, and had a new baby (our oldest son, Shaun), we both came down with food poisoning. Good thing our base housing had two bathrooms! We were both spending a lot of time on our knees and were not able to pay as much attention to our new son as we wanted. It was not a good day.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Glad you are weaned off the porcelain throne!
As an alternate to returning, you could call or email Costco. I've had a occasional bad experiences with grocery stores (milk before expire date, ground beef that stank, etc.), and they have always made it right after a phone call or email (did not bring product back to store - blech!). I figure if I was in the QC department, I would want to know of issues like this!

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I know you will probably never eat a Costco pizza but they may not be the reason you were sick. I was just talking to my neighbor and the same thing struck their whole family last week. As we were talking their neighbor drove by and told us her son has it now. I don’t think you can ever determine where it came from. It could be that the checkout person was sick and passed it on or the guy before you that had pumped gas. Just saying.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I know you will probably never eat a Costco pizza but they may not be the reason you were sick. I was just talking to my neighbor and the same thing struck their whole family last week. As we were talking their neighbor drove by and told us her son has it now. I don’t think you can ever determine where it came from. It could be that the checkout person was sick and passed it on or the guy before you that had pumped gas. Just saying.

I realize there is always a possibility something else was the cause, but I'm 90% sure it was the Pizza just due to the suddenness of the onset relative to the consumption of the Pizza. I am not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I realize there is always a possibility something else was the cause, but I'm 90% sure it was the Pizza just due to the suddenness of the onset relative to the consumption of the Pizza. I am not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure.

Question: did anyone else eat the pizza you bought?

Question: did you microwave it to the recommended 165 degrees?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Question: did anyone else eat the pizza you bought?

Question: did you microwave it to the recommended 165 degrees?

1. No
2. Yes - it was microwaved to the far side of the recommended time span. Did I stick a thermometer in the Pizza? No.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
The reason I said that was because many years ago I went to a hockey game then we picked up a pizza at our local place. Two hours later I was sick as a dog. Three other people ate the same thing and were fine. I believe I picked something up but didn’t know where.

i just thought I’d bring that up! Sorry I couldn’t resist saying that. :rolleyes2:

dklawson

Yoda
Regardless of whether or not you bring this to the attention of Costco, it's a shame that you and your Mrs. may not want to even look at a pizza for the next few years.

Several years ago we had a company lunch catered by Subway. The lunch was on Friday and I spent most of the weekend in the bathroom. Monday morning one of my co-workers showed up at my desk asking if I had been sick. The catered lunch gave 2/3 the company food poisoning. It turned out to be bad ham. I didn't eat Subway or ham for about 3 years after that.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Back thousands of years ago, when I was young and just out of high school, I decided to see if I'd enjoy "rum and coca cola". Enjoyed it *way* too much that night, and felt rotten all the next day. Not to mention making frequent offerings to the porcelain goddess.

Couldn't stand the smell or taste of Coca Cola for several months after that.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Back thousands of years ago, when I was young and just out of high school, I decided to see if I'd enjoy "rum and coca cola". Enjoyed it *way* too much that night, and felt rotten all the next day. Not to mention making frequent offerings to the porcelain goddess.

Couldn't stand the smell or taste of Coca Cola for several months after that.

Back in the early days of our marriage, my Brother-in-Law got me drunker than a skunk one night on beer and Crown Royal (ok, I did it to myself actually). The next day we had to drive back to Hill AFB from Twin Falls, ID. My wife had to drive and we had to stop every few miles it seemed so I could pray to the asphalt shoulder gods. I literally thought I was going to die that day. That was the last time I touched a drop of alcohol of any kind ever again. I was never a big drinker anyway, but from that time forward I became a complete tea totaler. Don't miss it one little bit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sympathies, sir! Went through a bout of it a couple years ago with some packaged, thin-sliced ham. Middle of the night it hit and abdominal pain was awful. Spent the next few hours 'purging' from two orifices. No discernible issue with the ham but it got binned.

Didn't put me off eating ham, just that brand of pre-cut stuff.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Sympathies, sir! Went through a bout of it a couple years ago with some packaged, thin-sliced ham. Middle of the night it hit and abdominal pain was awful. Spent the next few hours 'purging' from two orifices. No discernible issue with the ham but it got binned.

Didn't put me off eating ham, just that brand of pre-cut stuff.

Perhaps we should rename this thread "Tales from the Porcelain Throne"