• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cars in Movies

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Being a car guy, I love to see the old cars shown in period movies and TV shows, but...being a car guy I am kind of nitpicky about it too. They usually do a pretty good job of limiting the cars to the time of the show, and also including older cars, but they are always shiny, clean, and restored looking. Occassional gaffes with newer, bigger rims and lower profile tires pop up sometimes too.

Just watched "The Green Book" set in 1962 I think, they show a street scene from a poorer neighborhood a number of times, the cars are older, but all clean and shiny, the new Cadillac they drive throughout the movie (actually a pair of them, in turquoise!) Looks shinier than a 1962 paint job ever was new, pretty obviously a base coat,/clearcoat finish.

Oh, I can watch the movie and still enjoy it, and I know, movie cars have to come from somewhere, and most all 1950s cars that are still around now look like they are pushing 70 years old or they are restored. However, they spend so much effort and money on costumes and sets, you'd think they could put a little "aging make-up" on the cars too.

As I said, I am not ready to write my congressmen about it to introduce a new law,
nor amI losing sleep, more just curious if anyone else notices the same or similar.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
you'd think they could put a little "aging make-up" on the cars too.
We do sometimes. One example was Dave's TR4 in Alvin and the Chipmunks. That car was in much better shape when it was purchased for the movie.
i169366.jpg

Country flag
People forget what paint decades ago looked like. Yes the modern finishes you can get even on economy cars looks great, but it isn't accurate for vintage autos. I did the Tiger in an acrylic enamel had polished out and I always have to explain it is much closer to the original finish that the 5 ft deep reflections other guys have with their multi thousand dollar paint jobs.

D

Deleted member 8987

Had one of my cars in a movie or two over the years, as have good friends with 40's and 50's vehicles. The movie company "dusted" them, on film, looked like they hadn't been washed in a LONG time. Someone told me they also had appliques for windows to make them look cracked or fogged.

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Greg--yes, they did a good job with the TR4 in the Chipmunk movie.

Mike-to each his own, but I am with you on the paint.

TOC--I obviously painted with a broad brush, like most things I probably notice more if it is wrong than if it is right.