• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Mirrors.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have found that the rear view mirror mounted in the center of the dash has a limited view and the wing mirror is even more limited,
It seems that a mirror mounted on the windshield stanchion would make keeping an eye on traffic behind you a bit easier.

Has anyone come up with a good solution?

I think that clamping to the strip that goes between the stanchion and the windshield frame would work but with the side screens on that may not work.

David

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi David,

There is a mod to use a Harley Davidson mirror (I think) in one of the windscreen stantion locating bolt locations. If this is something that might interest you, I think I saw it on the TR Register Australia or New Zealand website. Others here may know about it as well...

Cheers,
Tush

macilona

Country flag
Hello......I purchased the HD mirrors on ebay....item captioned Harley Davidson universal 4 inch chrome mirror....you need both left and right because the stem is angled for each side. Cost about $20 each. They are mounted in the screw holes of the windshield. Hopefully the attached photo will be there for illustration!

Attachments

• B0A473D8-A798-4D88-9815-0FBD0729A644.jpeg
    B0A473D8-A798-4D88-9815-0FBD0729A644.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 255

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might be worth mentioning that this trick only works for later cars, with bolts holding the stanchions to the scuttle. Won't work so well on earlier cars (like mine) that use Dzus buttons in that location.

But I get along fine with the convex wing mirrors. They're a PITA to keep adjusted, as people keep bumping into them in parking lots (and I do myself sometimes, when working under the hood). But properly adjusted, and combined with the center mirror, IMO they work quite well. One of the things I really like is when pulling out from a parking space with a big SUV parked behind me, I can pull up until just the mirror peeks around the SUV, rather than having to pull out far enough for a side mirror to get a view of oncoming traffic.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I have convex wing mirrors on both sides. That helps. But, I also added a mirror screwed into the stanchion where the rear bolt goes. I used a convex wing mirror from the right side, and modified the length of the stud. The original stud is the correct size (5/16"-24 IIRC), but too short. Since it was part of the casting, I just cut it off, drilled and tapped a hole and screwed in a longer stud. With a couple of flat washers for spacers, the mirror just screws right on in place to the stanchion screw.

Edit: I tried using a clamp-on mirror on that strip. It lasted about 6 miles before it fell off and the car behind me ran over it! :sick: And, yes it will interfere with the side curtains.

Attachments

• DSC_3263s.jpg
    DSC_3263s.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 227
  • DSC_3275s.jpg
    DSC_3275s.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 230

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm fortunate to have an original set of Lucas convex wing mirrors.
The original ones aren't quite as convex as the aftermarket ones,
so there is a better field of vision.
I supplemented that by converting the scuttle mounted interior
rear-view one to a convex one as well. Went to a junk yard, got one
of the modern passenger side exterior rear-view ones (the one
with the little note etched in), took it to glass/mirror shop & had them
cut it to fit in my TR3A mirror. Between the three I have virtually no
blind spots.
Frank

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
I didn't like the wing mirrors, they were "too far away" to see properly. I did add a clamp-on mirror bought from Vintage Car Parts in England at: https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-accessories-mirror-exterior

It's stayed on so far, using set screws to clamp the windshield side tenon (it does vibrate, though). I have not tried the side curtains yet. Attached is a picture of the mirror and on my car. A better mirror is in the other photo of the TR2, but that would require drilling/tapping into the Dzus or bolting through the stanchion mount.
0ca1230-1__3000001__.jpg_DSC0372.jpgTriumph-TR-2-long-door-1954-04.jpg

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Well there is one of my problems. My wing mirror is flat not convex. So I need to find a convex one to start with.

Randall
I do notice that it is easy to move them as you walk past in the garage. If you leave them lose enough to adjust and they move easily.

Art
That was what I was afraid of with the clamp on type.

David

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Keith

Thank you.

How long is the stem? It looks like the mirror may stick out a bit and easily get bumped by clumsy pedestrians in parking lots. (or Owners in garages)

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hello David,

The side mirrors are still available from the tr-register.com.au look in the for sale section,
P1020837.jpg
as you can see fitted to my car I can't remember how much I paid but they fit well and don't get in the way of the side screen

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 191

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
David,

I can’t tell you at the moment as my car is at Macy’s Garage getting a drive-train rebuild. I should have it back in a couple of weeks and can check then. I can’t say I really had a problem bumping it.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Cant tell you how many times I took a lot of time to adjust the mirrors just perfect just to get out of the car the next time and smack it with my wrist walking buy. In a car show you might as well plan on taking time before you go home to adjust your mirrors. Here is how I got ride of a lease 50% or more of the problem with original mounted mirrors. All i did was just slightly turn them in towards the bonnet. If you were standing behind the driver mirror (US cars) loosen up the screws and turn it counter clockwise which puts it more in a upright position instead of hanging past the fender. Too far and the bonnet will will hit it when raised. Course turn it clock wise on the passenger side.
Now if I'd seen this tread before I restored my car the 2nd time I would have filled in the fender holes and did the windshield post mount. doesn't look as cool but functionality is what I'd be looking for.

PeterK

Yoda
Yes, I have Tex "spring back" mirrors on my wings. They have a spring mounted stem so if I knock it, it springs back into position. Need to keep the head tightened after it is adjusted to keep that from moving if I hit it too hard. But they do work and spring back nicely.