• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Pearl White not what I expected

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Hi all-
After giving them all the old codes, my paint shop came back with what they think is Pearl White. I had been hoping and had convinced myself that Pearl White was Triumph’s version of Olde English White, but it’s not even close. Attached is the test spray of Pearl White on the top with a sample of OEW below it....

Can anyone validate? Thanks all, Jim

TS 44743L “O”

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Paint mixing seems to be almost as much an art as a science.

I had decided on my paint colour by trying several rattle can whites. I sprayed a patch of each to see which one looked best to me.

Took the can and the sample to the paint store and they looked up the code on the can and mixed a gallon of paint.
When I got the bottom of the car painted I thought that it looked wrong so I compared it to the sample. It was way different. Calling the store they first said it was computer matched so it could not be wrong but when I texted the photo I have attached to this thread they said "Bring the paint back e will Fix It"
The square was the colour I wanted the background was what I got first time around.

They got it exactly right as far as I can see the second time. When I needed some more the guy said to wait till his buddy was back from break as he was better with matching paint.

David
Paint sample.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
None of those are Old English White, not enough yellow as it's a white/cream. Don't think white, well it sounds like you already know that.

PPG did have it years ago when I painted the '37 TA, so give them a try.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
On mine I was not going for a specific Triumph colour just one I liked.

Am very happy with the way it turned out.

David

Graham H

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The paint code I used for New White was code 19 which must be the yellower white because the vehicle examiner who inspected the car for registration called it Cream.
P1010078.jpg

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Andrew, I didn't look at the color definition, sorry, was just looking at the color. Does seem to have a little more yellow in it this morning. Had a eye exam yesterday and should have known better. That said, it's closer to what I remember the MG's and Triumph's called old English White.
Sorry for the confusion, but colors do that a lot.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
and to further muddy the waters ...

Comparing colors and color sample chips via photos/images on digital devices leads to major frustrations. Color "temperature" is only one of the hurdles. Each device has its own color display parameters; add to that the way digital cameras/smartphones store color information, plus image compression techniques - well, "it's complicated".

Not even mentioning the ambient light at the image source, and at the viewing point.

Tom M.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
and another add.

I had a cataract surgery son one eye several years ago and I notice a big difference in colour particularly white when I close one eye then the other. To the original eye it is a more yellow colour.

David

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That must have been interesting and difficult David to see 2 colors at once. I remember a highly qualified individual explain once that color is a human construct in the mind and everything is actually black and white. How do you figure that out?

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
A3F9AE09-1A8E-4552-957C-D390D225357E.jpg
Hi all-
After giving them all the old codes, my paint shop came back with what they think is Pearl White. I had been hoping and had convinced myself that Pearl White was Triumph’s version of Olde English White, but it’s not even close. Attached is the test spray of Pearl White on the top with a sample of OEW below it....

TS 44743L “O”

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
View attachment 58034
Hi all-

TS 44743L “O”
so here’s the picture— the Pearl White sample is now at the bottom with the OEW on top... Jim

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I only get the effect if I close one eye then the other to compare. Normally wuth both eyes I must be seeing a mixture.

David

That must have been interesting and difficult David to see 2 colors at once. I remember a highly qualified individual explain once that color is a human construct in the mind and everything is actually black and white. How do you figure that out?

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
If the lighter, creamier color is the Pearl White, then that looks correct. It should be a cream with just a “tinge” of yellow.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
So, so many factors here. Original mixing, sample "chip" cars of varying quality and now advanced age, difference in scanning and/or other photoreproduction of same, further differences among various monitors, light conditions, your eye health and personal sobriety at any given moment in time.... ;)

I always thought Triumph's #19 white was a pretty bright white, and it usually is compared to Nimbus White (a bit more grey/green to me), Sebring White (a bit more bluish to me), Spa White (a bit creamier to me) and the relatively short-live Velasquez Cream (never have seen it in person), to name a few. But some 35 years ago, a friend and I "restored" an old Spitfire 4 to use as an "autocross" car. We wanted it bright, so we ended up using base "tinting white" straight out of the can. It worked; that car was WHITE, and that white made the Signal Red and (Chevy truck) mid-blue stripes really pop out.

Oh, and to some degree, the color of the primer coat immediately under the color coat can make a difference in the finished product! (Maybe not after the 40th color coat application, though? :D )

OP
Jim_Stevens

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Sure looks like I got a spray out of Beach White and not Pearl White...