• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3A Compresson check hot vs cold

midnight

This morning a ran a compresson check on my 1959 TR-3A - COLD, I was 120# on all four - HOT, I was 100# on all four - I don't understand - I thought it would be exactly the opposite - The motor has 22,000 miles on it - ????? Mid- Night

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The good news is that your compression is consistent although very slightly on the low side. The gauges are not always that accurate and could account for the very slightly low numbers. Certainly no reason for concern at this point.
As for the hot and cold readings, cold oil might provide a better seal than hot oil, outweighing the effect of expansion of the hot metal. I've never done mine hot.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Too many variables to know. Is the starter up to speed hot? Throttle and diaphragm blocked open on both tries? Valves set loose enough? Gage seal consistent? Battery charged fully and in good shape? I general I would expect the pressure to be the same or slightly higher too when hot, but there are a lot of other variables that can account for it. In the end...like Tom says, if it checks by the book cold, don't worry about the hot numbers.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I would be concerned the valves were to tight.You could pull the cover while hot and just make sure there is some wiggle at tdc.
Tom

OP
M

midnight

Thanks for the comments - everything is good - battery, starter, valves, ect. - I just thought the hot cold differental was odd - the motor only has 20,000 miles on it - it runs good - like every TR I have been around it has piston slap that goes away once the motor is warm - but, sense I am anal, I am changing out the piston and sleves this weekend - boredom - midnight

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Certainly will do no harm, other than to your checking account, and you might want to check and lap the valves while you've got the head off, although that will add another couple of hours to the job.
Tom

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
AngliaGT In Check,VA Today Spotted 2
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Finished my TR3! Thanks to you guys... check it out! Triumph 22
Rob Glasgow Check Strap Assembly Austin Healey 5
B BJ7/BJ8 Door Check Straps Austin Healey 10
F TR2/3/3A Check strap alignment Triumph 11
T General Tech Once again, check the easy stuff Triumph 2
AngliaGT Got Lucky Today - CHECK THOSE BOLTS! Spridgets 6
S Price check on TR3A valve cover Triumph Classifieds 0
Twit TR4/4A early tr4 check straps Triumph 4
F Check for matching nrs Austin Healey MK2 Austin Healey 3
Lukens For Sale Check out this tr3 project for sale... A real treasure trove Triumph Classifieds 0
V TR2/3/3A Vertical link check Triumph 2
R TR4/4A Door check straps Triumph 7
68_sprite Check the August Oprah Magazine Austin Healey 5
HighAltitudeTR3 TR2/3/3A Door Check Assembly Triumph 19
S Door Check Strap Austin Healey 5
AngliaGT Why You Should Double - Check Your Parts When You Receive them. Spridgets 2
T TR2/3/3A Where is best spot to check temp with infrared thermometer? Triumph 17
AngliaGT Anyone in Charlotte,NC That Could Check Out a Truck for Me? Other Cars 0
C Rough Idle - What to check? Austin Healey 12
KVH TR4/4A Door Check Straps Triumph 11
S Overdrive Wiring Check Austin Healey 12
Michael Oritt Door check installation Austin Healey 7
P TR2/3/3A TR3 turn signal and horn control wiring check Triumph 4
warwick-steve Brake drum check and lubrication Austin Healey 9
Rut Sanity check! Spridgets 2
1 Price check on an original 1957 100-6 BN4? Austin Healey 29
Mickey Richaud General Tech Always Check the Fundamentals MG 10
F Check out this new restoration diary - BT7 - very brave! Austin Healey 7
D TR2/3/3A Door check bracket? Triumph 7
C Brake issue on my 1969 XKE - what to check first? Jaguar 14
Martinld123 Compression check 1956 BN2 Austin Healey 7
M BN1 door check replacement Austin Healey 9
R Last minute check before engine install Austin Healey 26
Boink Check out some Sprite shots at the Portland ABFM... Spridgets 1
Rut TR4/4A Get out your check books! Triumph 10
Gerald_Gordon TR4/4A Failure of new door-check strap on an early 1961 TR4 Triumph 6
S How to check Dwell on a MK I 3000? Austin Healey 27
K TR2/3/3A Re: TR3 Bump stops and check straps. Triumph 18
PatGalvin TR2/3/3A vacuum leaks? How to check Triumph 9
jlaird Check Spam folder Spridgets 3
I TR6 Got in a wreck - need some help on who to take it to and what to check Triumph 48
HealeyDave Door Check Friction Adjustment Austin Healey 12
RedTR3 TR2/3/3A How to check for cylinder-to-cylinder head gasket leak Triumph 7
sundown TR6 1973 TR6 door check straps Triumph 3
DanLewis Weber 40DCOE - Does it need a check valve in the fuel supply line? Spridgets 4
drooartz General Tech Check those brake hoses! MG 11
sundown TR6 Door check strap Triumph 3
Tinkerman TR2/3/3A Continuity Check on Tranny Lock out switches Triumph 2
GBRandy Wedge BOOM - check your hoses Triumph 15