• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Shimmy at certain speeds

Country flag
Hey, As I am writing this, I have a possible answer: drive shaft/u-joints. I recently had new Coker redlines put on the '72 TR6. I painted the wheels while I had the chance, then had the tires, with innertubes mounted and balanced, and an alignment done. As im driving, I notice a shaking or shimmy occurring at 45 and 60 mph. I took it back to have the balance checked, and it is just fine. They did drive it and they thought it might be a bad shock. Or as I mentioned above, a bad u-joint? Any other ideas?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Could be almost anything that rotates but isn't part of the balancing process. My biggest problem turned out to be new brake rotors that were off balance; but I also discovered several front hubs that didn't run true.

"Back when" you could find shops that would balance the tires on the car (for an extra charge). But it's been a long time since I've found one that has the equipment. I finally bought one myself.

OP
R
Country flag
I did not notice it with the old tires . . . maybe I need a different garage to do the balancing? These guys are older gents, 50+, that seem to know what they are doing, well experienced, but . . .

Telly

Country flag
Ouch,
Coker tires seem to get a lot of negative press lately. Don't rule out bad tires just because they are new/newer.

Put cheap tires (made somewhere in Asia) from Firestone on my TR4 and they developed flat spots after 6 months, which of course created a shimmy...had them replaced and problem solved.

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I am leaning towards the cooker tires as the problem. I had the same thing happen after the restoration of my 250. New cooker tires on good rims. I would get a shimmy at certain speeds. Had the tires rebalanced. Still had the shimmy. At that point I was thinking that it was something else. So I put the rims and tires on from my TR3 with the panasport rims and the 250 ran nice and smooth. No shimmy. In the mean time I got a good deal on wire wheels and tires. That is what I have ben running ever since. I have heard that the tire it self can be balanced. I would like to use the redline tires on my 250 because they look great. But haven't done so because of the shimmy.

Jim_Stevens

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I would send them to Hendrix Wire Wheels in NC for their micro balancing. Worked for me— no more shimmering at 60...

seadiver

Freshman Member
Call your local tire stores and ask if they have a Hunter Road Force diagnostic machine. Might rule out the Cokers as the culprit.