• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Went to a "car show"

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Took the MGB to a local show Saturday morning, was the only Brit iron on th' pitch. Plenty of Dee-troit examples, with tri-five Chevys and sixties Ford products. Some well executed '37 & '39 hotrods as well.

Photos coming.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only 2 Brit shows here a year within a 4-hour drive, all the rest are as you describe, hot rods and custom American iron. There is a Jag show in Tulsa that I get invited to, but because I won't drive the TF through Tulsa, I put it in the box trailer if I really want to go.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Only 2 Brit shows here a year within a 4-hour drive, all the rest are as you describe, hot rods and custom American iron. There is a Jag show in Tulsa that I get invited to, but because I won't drive the TF through Tulsa, I put it in the box trailer if I really want to go.
I actually spend quite a bit of time over by Tulsa every year (Fort Smith, Arkansas) I dont think that I've ever seen a British car anywhere.

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I went to a car show Saturday and my Bugeye And a TR6 were the British cars there. A guy asked me if MEL did the work on my car. I said I didn't know Mel. He said he is the guy talking to the guy with the TR6. Anyway MEL turned out to be the sponsor of the trophy for best foreign and since the TR6 owner did have Mel work on his car he won the trophy. I guess it is all in who you know.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The Belle of the Ball to my mind was this '67 Nova. The chassis reinforcing work was impressive. As was the overall work on the car.

67Chevy1.jpg

67Chevy2.jpg

67Chevy3.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That engine bay looks like it could pass for spare trunk... there's LOTS of room in there!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That Nova is a very nice build by an obviously skilled fabricator.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Went to the Englewood, FL car show. Drove up and down Dearborn St. but never got out of the car. Some of the hotrods looked interesting but if you've seen one Mustang or Muscle Car, you've seen them all. We went out for dinner instead.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Went to the Englewood, FL car show. Drove up and down Dearborn St. but never got out of the car. Some of the hotrods looked interesting but if you've seen one Mustang or Muscle Car, you've seen them all. We went out for dinner instead.

:lol:

Have you made it to one of the Cars and Coffee meetups?

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Where and when? I'll have to show up in my leased Subaru Legacy. How do I explain that?

"My Alfa's in the shop." :smirk:

I've not been but a couple of my friends attend regularly. Some Wednesday mornings, in the "touristy" part of old Englewood. I'll get the details and send you info.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
'"My Alfa's in the shop." :smirk:'

Isn't that the reason every Alfa owner owns at least two cars?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
'"My Alfa's in the shop." :smirk:'

Isn't that the reason every Alfa owner owns at least two cars?

Had to chuckle on that one. Neighbor bought his 25 year old son an Alfa. Son lives 60 miles away. Every time son has a car problem, dad drives 60 miles to fix it. Finally dad bought two more Alfas of the same year and model. Rotates them as spares while he fixes son's Alfa du jour.

oy

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Had to chuckle on that one. Neighbor bought his 25 year old son an Alfa. Son lives 60 miles away. Every time son has a car problem, dad drives 60 miles to fix it. Finally dad bought two more Alfas of the same year and model. Rotates them as spares while he fixes son's Alfa du jour.

oy

:excitement: Hahahahaha!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So THAT'S what I've been doin' wrong! I've always owned them one-at-a-time. It also answers why on any given day I could choose which Lotus to drive.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It would be better if the son could do some to help with his car.

David

oy

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
David - the (only child) son has never done any outside work. No snow shoveling, no lawn mowing, no shrub trimming. Nada.

But he did get private tennis lessons in high school, parent-paid apartment and all tuition paid during college, new house for college graduation present - and now a new Audi as a "spare spare".

oy

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've heard that advice about Harleys and Jags. "Have to buy two, etc." So far, neither the TR6 nor the Alfa have broken down on the road. Yet. The only cars that did in my 69 1/2 years of driving were a VW Beetle (coil - twice); VW Dasher (once-radiator hose and twice- master cylinder -replacement was no good either);Corvair(engine fell out on Route 22); and the champion, my Olds F85 - three times (New Bedford, MA, Greenwich, CT and Route 22 again. Also ran out of gas on the Bear Mt. bridge in my 1951 MG TD due to a burned out warning light (the TD had no gas gauge).

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only been driving fifty-one years, all but the first two have largely been in euro-trash. The times one of those had to be carried home "on its shield" can be counted on one hand: In April of 1973 an MGB-GT grenaded its engine on the Mass turnpike, at West Springfield. The Elan +2 snapped a diff output shaft on leaving a stoplight "spiritedly" in '86. The current '78 Spider SPICA injection vapor-locked shortly after purchase in '98, on I-75. That one was subsequently converted to a 1750cc engine and Webers. Diesela has been on a Jerr-Dan due to TWO flat tires. One on Alligator Alley and the spare let go shortly after. That was on a Sunday a few years ago. She got carried on a trip from Bonita Springs (no tire stores open) to our shop in Sarasota. Not her fault!

Other "failure to continue" incidents have occurred but were mere roadside delays, figured out and remedied where they fell. Th' 'Mits once had an incident with the Lotus Cortina having kacked out on the way home from work one eve in '87. She upped th' bonnet and found the wire from coil to dizzy had come loose. Crimped the connector a bit with the multi-tool pliers she kept in her purse (!) and drove home.

I'll leave the tales of "The Kurse of the K-Car" for another time. :wink: