Thread: Met front brake pistons

General discusssion about other British cars that don't have their own forum (yet).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Met front brake pistons

Got sealing rubber rings for the brake pistons from Pit Stop for my (E55685). They don't fit. The hole in the new ones are much too small, especially as compared to the old rubber rings which were in good shape. What am I missing here? IMO, the rubber should fairly easily slip over the end land and into the groove without much difficulty. There is no way these rubbers will go on those pistons....unless I perhaps soak them in gasoline till they swell up. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Anybody? Anybody?

Thom W
    1958 Met

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Re: Met front brake pistons

Thom - what does Pit Stop say about the problem you're having?

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pit Stop is closed today, so I thought I'd go to 'the masses' to maybe get ahead of my call to them tomorrow.

Thom W

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

From the Triumph world I have observed that some aftermarket wheel cylinders use a different piston design than the original factory parts. For me that has meant that putting new seals in otherwise good old wheel cylinders was not an option. The seal kits didn't fit (based on the ID... the OD was correct). You may be experiencing similar. Perhaps Pit Stop sells OEM type seals and you have an aftermarket cylinder... or you have an OEM cylinder and the seal kits are for aftermarket cylinders.

Regardless, you are right. Do NOT soak the rubber in anything to make it soft enough to stretch.
    Doug L.
    '64 Morris Mini Cooper-S 1275
    '67 Triumph GT6 Mk1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Doug, I've sent pix to Pit Stop so I hope they can clear this up asap. I've had over a dozen British cars, done brakes on most of them. Never thought a Met would have this strange problem. After all, it's a car that they designed to use 'off the shelf parts' that they had a TON OF! Also, from '54 to '62, most everything FITS!

I will win against 'Chuckles' I will win.

Thom W