• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Met front brake pistons

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Got sealing rubber rings for the brake pistons from Pit Stop for my (E55685). They don't fit. The hole in the new ones are much too small, especially as compared to the old rubber rings which were in good shape. What am I missing here? IMO, the rubber should fairly easily slip over the end land and into the groove without much difficulty. There is no way these rubbers will go on those pistons....unless I perhaps soak them in gasoline till they swell up. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Anybody? Anybody?

Thom W
1958 Met

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Pit Stop is closed today, so I thought I'd go to 'the masses' to maybe get ahead of my call to them tomorrow.

Thom W

dklawson

Yoda
From the Triumph world I have observed that some aftermarket wheel cylinders use a different piston design than the original factory parts. For me that has meant that putting new seals in otherwise good old wheel cylinders was not an option. The seal kits didn't fit (based on the ID... the OD was correct). You may be experiencing similar. Perhaps Pit Stop sells OEM type seals and you have an aftermarket cylinder... or you have an OEM cylinder and the seal kits are for aftermarket cylinders.

Regardless, you are right. Do NOT soak the rubber in anything to make it soft enough to stretch.

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Doug, I've sent pix to Pit Stop so I hope they can clear this up asap. I've had over a dozen British cars, done brakes on most of them. Never thought a Met would have this strange problem. After all, it's a car that they designed to use 'off the shelf parts' that they had a TON OF! Also, from '54 to '62, most everything FITS!

I will win against 'Chuckles' I will win.

Thom W

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
JPSmit Met for sale Other British Cars 3
Rob Glasgow I met my goal, well almost.... Austin Healey 7
Basil Met 59diamond [Bill] and his beautiful 1960 Bugeye Spridgets 9
J Went To Auburn Cruise Night and met an Aussie who just bought a 54 to take back home. Austin Healey 1
JPSmit Miss Triss met a relative tonight Spridgets 2
Gundy Met Molly today Spridgets 8
Basil Met a local guy with an EType Jaguar 7
Basil Met a BCFer on the plane MG 5
B Met some EMRA Guys in my backyard [Practically] Racing 4
Scott_Hower Post-War Other Met a nice Herald owner in London yesterday. Triumph 1
ChrisS Met a fellow BCF'r yesterday Spridgets 8
PATR8 Met the neighbor up the road Triumph 7
Basil I met "the Man" Austin Healey 5
lawguy $6000 100-6, reserve met? Austin Healey 2
mctriumph For Sale front apron 57 Tr3 Triumph Classifieds 0
71TR6 TR2/3/3A TR3A Front Bumper Mount Triumph 11
1 TR2/3/3A Rimmer Brothers Replacement Front Wing Quality? Triumph 8
Carlbanan56 MGB Front hub MG 4
F For Sale E Type Series II front and rear bumpers good condition Jaguar Classifieds 0
J MGB Front Wheel Bearings. Re-grease or replace? MG 19
scottkilpatrick TR4/4A Front Brakes - Basics for Pads Triumph 11
C MGB-GT MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
C MGB-GT Front Ride Height MG 0
J For Sale Bilstein Front Shocks for Jaguar E-Type 727-498-6493 Jaguar Classifieds 0
J TR2/3/3A Mystery knocking sounds at front wheel Triumph 11
E Wanted 1963 Healey 300 mark 2 front grille wanted Austin Healey Classifieds 0
K TR2/3/3A Front brake hub removal to access Vertical Link bolts(screws) Attached pictures. Triumph 1
K TR2/3/3A How to remove the front brake hub from the brake disc? Triumph 11
AUSMHLY Front Wheel Spin Drag Austin Healey 6
T TR2/3/3A Looking for a TR3A front bumper Triumph 6
mctriumph TR2/3/3A Front Suspension upgrades for the 59 Triumph 10
vpanza Wanted TR3 FRONT backplates needed Triumph Classifieds 2
K TR2/3/3A Rear tire pressure when there is an anti roll bar at the front of the car? Triumph 1
CARSINC For Sale Sprite Front Wire Wheel Hubs Spridgets Classified 0
bighealeysource Front Brake Adjusters Austin Healey 0
L Wanted right front turn signal 1975 TR6 Triumph Classifieds 2
G For Sale NEW PHOTOS: Triumph TR3 Chassis Frame + Front Suspension, Fits TR2,TR3,TR3A,TR3B Triumph Classifieds 1
TR3Acustodian TR2/3/3A Replacing "H" front badge Triumph 11
G Rebuilding Front Seats Austin Healey 4
drooartz MGB Front suspension rebuild is next MG 57
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A What final front suspension torque settings needed? Triumph 7
H TR4/4A Advise asked for front repair Triumph 1
A BN7 Front Hub Stud Nuts Austin Healey 5
P 100/6 Front Wheel Alignment Austin Healey 10
Prof. T Wanted 1974 - TR 6 Front Chrome License Plate Holder Triumph Classifieds 1
S Wanted BT7 Front Passenger Side Seat Pan Austin Healey Classifieds 0
S For Sale Triumph TR 2-3 Front Left Fender Triumph Classifieds 2
B Wanted Bugeye front bonnet fender mirror like this Spridgets Classified 5
P MGB 1974 MGB front spring length. MG 0
B TR4/4A Spax, Gaz and Koni on Front Triumph 12