• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Classic?

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Between Classic Motorsports and Hagerty, is there any old car or rusted out pos pickup that is not a Classic? What does classic even mean. I have never considered my TR4 (purchased 50 yrs ago) to be a classic or a collector car, cuz I don't think of it that way. It was and is just a fun old car to drive about and I like it. I always thought Classic meant something special, groundbreaking having superb engineering or style; example: dohc four valve engine built in the 1920's. I can understand certain applications of the term, but a push rod whatever bellybutton propulsion plant in a planned obsolescent rust bucket? Sorry for the rant, suffering from seasonal disorder, it is going to snow again.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
No kidding! But if I think about all the old cars on Craigslist and ebay, where the seller describes them as "classic" and "rare" and "own a piece of history" - and the cars are snatched up by flippers and back on the market two weeks later - I guess "classic" has lost its meaning.

And that includes the rusted out chassis and bodies, with ridiculous high asking prices.

oy

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Did you call them a "Sucker". How about just a fool and his money. But to me a classic can be just about anything. If it is something that exemplifies a particular mark, or genre or even an era then it might become a classic to someone. How about a Nash Metropolitan? Hmm, maybe a plymouth valiant? In about 20 more years you could call a 1994 Chev Blazer a classic. Boy I had one of them and wish I still had it. If I owned in still in 20 years it would be a classic to me.
Speaking of fools and their money. Have you guys seen the Haggarty article about the guy that spent 15 years and 2.3 million dollars to win the $10,000 Ridler Award for his custom Cadillac. And then he died before the car actually won. Kinda sad but I guess he was doing what he wanted to do.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
My mom had a 74 Valiant, bought new, when I got my driver's license in 1977. Powder blue with an automatic and that slant six. Not exactly a schoolboy's dream, but other than the lean tune on the carb for emissions it was a pretty solid vehicle, numb as could be, but probably would run forever.

No, never will see those as classics.

Don't think the Valiant will ever be a classic, even in the eyes of an optimistic, hyperbolic Craigslist seller.

P.S. I don't have a problem calling a TR4 a classic. Not classic like a Duesenberg or Ferrari, cars that were expensive and special when new and still considered so now, but classic as it was more than just transportation when new, and more than a few people saved their old derelict examples because they liked them and wanted to fix them up "someday".

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen some very humble old cars at shows and they are probable classic in some way. The Morris Minor for example. It is a reminder of simpler times when anyone could work on and fix cars. No computer needed just a test light, some simple tools and a little skill.

David

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The word "Classic" is probably overused. Ultimately what is a Classic is in the eye of the beholder. A car that leaves you scratching your head being called "Classic" is the apple of someone else's eye. However, anyone who is trying to sell an old car is certainly going to use that term to try to make it appear more valuable

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Please forgive me for stealing the thread but a question to TRMark, "What's the most scenic route between Yellowstone and Glacier? Thanks.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I always thought Classic meant something special, groundbreaking having superb engineering or style; example: dohc four valve engine built in the 1920's.
The Classic Car Club of America comes close to your view as to the definition of a classic: "The Classic Car Club of America defines a Classic as a “Fine” or “Distinctive” automobile, American or foreign built, produced between 1915 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and “one-shot” or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic."
Their list of approved classics: https://www.classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/approved_classics_2018.html

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
A definitive Classic - says so right on it :jester:

Rambler Classic.jpg

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
The Classic Car Club of America comes close to your view as to the definition of a classic: "The Classic Car Club of America defines a Classic as a “Fine” or “Distinctive” automobile, American or foreign built, produced between 1915 and 1948. Generally, a Classic was high-priced when new and was built in limited quantities. Other factors, including engine displacement, custom coachwork and luxury accessories, such as power brakes, power clutch, and “one-shot” or automatic lubrication systems, help determine whether a car is considered to be a Classic."
Their list of approved classics: https://www.classiccarclub.org/grand_classics/approved_classics_2018.html

Now, I can agree with that list, no rusted out Broncos or Chevy K whatevers. I do prefer the looks of the Rambler to the other offering of those years. I would actually make a point of looking at it at a car show. Finally in the 40's, feeling much better.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Please forgive me for stealing the thread but a question to TRMark, "What's the most scenic route between Yellowstone and Glacier? Thanks.

Lemme think about that for a bit, are you driving a motor home?