• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The Old Atlantic Speedway

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The old Amatol race track. I thought this might be enjoyed by some and because it's history, I put it in the pub, maybe it could be in the racing forum also? My dad took me to see the remains of this track in the early 50s, wasn't much left but the concrete pilings it was built on. Only ran for a couple years then Indy became popular, as it is today. PJ

Wheels of Speed

Wood track built to handle 160 MPH! Not much today, but in 1926, outstanding!

View attachment 57855View attachment 57856View attachment 57857View attachment 57858View attachment 57859

Last edited:

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone remember the old Speed Age magazine? It was filled with good stories about racing. One I actually remember was "I drove the Boards" written by Pete dePaolo, the old Indy driver; all about driving on banked wooden tracks like this one. Today? I haven't bought a Road & Track or Motor Trend in over 30 years. Just not interested and not willing to spend all my money buying a Porsche Carrera or whatever.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Paul said:
<respectfully, snipped> ...I haven't bought a Road & Track or Motor Trend in over 30 years. Just not interested and not willing to spend all my money buying a Porsche Carrera or whatever.

Boy, howdy! Same here. Last subscription to end was AutoWeek, and that was in the late '90's.