• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

This looks like fun

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wow!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interesting but I am skeptical. That looked like about a 20 second flight with the footage repeated several times. Also I didn't see enough batteries on board to put out that much power for that long. May just be me though.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Interesting but I am skeptical. That looked like about a 20 second flight with the footage repeated several times. Also I didn't see enough batteries on board to put out that much power for that long. May just be me though.

Could be. I dunno.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
The YT description includes "Being able to move through the air so effortlessly without vibrations or noise - it just felt so great."

Without noise?

Anyway, looks promising - at least when the air is still. With eight spinning food processor blades and no prop cages or pilot protection ... could be a bit dicey. No pun intended! Does seem it must have unusually powerful - and small - batteries.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Only thing I dispute about those units is, with no auto rotation abilities, as in a helicopter, a short in the electrical system or batteries dropping out, ( as lithium batteries do at times), it would glide like a chrome crowbar. I've done some crazy things in aircraft in my day, but to fly one of those things over 4 foot above the ground would not be one of them. Sorry. :rolleyes2:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Only thing I dispute about those units is, with no auto rotation abilities, as in a helicopter, a short in the electrical system or batteries dropping out, ( as lithium batteries do at times), it would glide like a chrome crowbar. I've done some crazy things in aircraft in my day, but to fly one of those things over 4 foot above the ground would not be one of them. Sorry. :rolleyes2:

:iagree: Glide angle of a brick, a hover at two feet would be my limit.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Extension cord? Might limit range a bit

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Not for the faint of heart. Translated that means me.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It looked like so much fun but then reality began to rear it's ugly head.

One of the oldest gliders I have flown with much less to go wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingsby_Kirby_Gull

I have never flown in a rotary wing aircraft but I do know someone who owes his life to auto-rotation. Said it was a very hard landing but he could walk away. He was ferrying a helicopter across London when the engine decided to stop running. Turned it into a 4 man parachute.

David

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
It looked like so much fun but then reality began to rear it's ugly head.

One of the oldest gliders I have flown with much less to go wrong.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingsby_Kirby_Gull

I have never flown in a rotary wing aircraft but I do know someone who owes his life to auto-rotation. Said it was a very hard landing but he could walk away. He was ferrying a helicopter across London when the engine decided to stop running. Turned it into a 4 man parachute.

David

My very first time in a helicopter was up on Baffin Island doing site surveys for the North Warning system. First time up resulted in an emergency landing shortly after takeoff when the craft blew an oil seal or something. After some repairs by the in-tow mechanic, we all piled in the same craft and took off for a mountain top a hundred miles or more away. Needless to say I was a bit nervous flying over some of the most rugged terrain on Earth in that thing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Logged enough hours as baggage in rotor-wing craft to KNOW I've reached my limit. No sense in pushin' my luck. :wink:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm perfectly happy with my vicarious thrills (with a DJI):