• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I've Gone To The Dark Side

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You haven't reached the dark side until you put a V8 into your Healey espresso. You're more or less in the cafe au lait department right now. But there aren't a lot of basic 2 seaters out there anymore, so a Miata is an excellent choice. As a former Fiat 124 Spider owner, I still give the Abarth versions a glance, although I'm not prepared to make that jump. Pictures are always appreciated.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bet you like driving a sports car in bad weather and feeling confident about reaching your destination.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
.... But there aren't a lot of basic 2 seaters out there anymore, so a Miata is an excellent choice. As a former Fiat 124 Spider owner, I still give the Abarth versions a glance,

Oh NO, NO, NO Rick. That Fiat is far from a basic 2 seater. But I do like the Miata, almost bought one of them once. But my "up dated" basic 2 seater that I bought just for little jumps around the country now and then looks like this. Here's a shot from the Orange Blossom Tour when we were at the FIRM in FL.

Attachments

• C5 at FIRM.jpg
    C5 at FIRM.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 190

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Oh NO, NO, NO Rick. That Fiat is far from a basic 2 seater. But I do like the Miata, almost bought one of them once. But my "up dated" basic 2 seater that I bought just for little jumps around the country now and then looks like this. Here's a shot from the Orange Blossom Tour when we were at the FIRM in FL.

Is that a Grand Sport?

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is that a Grand Sport?

Naw, that's what I mean by "Basic". It's just a base engined 2003, C5. LS1 Motor. A mere 350hp. But it'll cruise 100mph all day long and more. With AC. Sterio, lumber adjustment. That's all you need for a long trip. At 75 mph it's turning 1650 rpms. Getting 29 to 30 mpg. When I want to ruff it I take the C-3. When I want to get raw and rackish I take the Healey. Hey, here's a 64 thousand dollar question for ya. How can you make a C-3 Vette ride like a Cadillac.
Answer: ride in a Healey for a month. :smile::smile:

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My BJ-8 now has a 2019 Miata keeping it company in the garage.

Good selection. I've owned a Honda S2000 since 2002. I love that thing and will never sell it. The latest Miata is certainly tempting, though. I love the body styling and the engine is now producing respectable power. Good luck with it. If you are like me, the Miata will help your Healey last a long time.

Country flag
As long as you don't trade the Healey for a Triumph, we'll still have you. ;)

In 2000, I very seriously considered getting a '97 Miata (fresh off lease, very low__summer only__miles) but every time we talked about the price, between lessee and sales agent, the price went up. Walked away and got a CPO '99 M Roadster instead, and I think we all know how that turned out (that story is still being written)!

IMG_1528-me.jpg

Getting back to the Miata though, an xlnt handling and a great, fun car, belying how practical and reliable it is. But do try to enjoy it anyway... :cheers:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I bet you like driving a sports car in bad weather and feeling confident about reaching your destination.

That is a bit harsh ! If you do them up right they will not let you down - did a 350mile trip in the rain got to my destination and had a wash as I drove along - value for money :wink-new: but those days are gone - the leaks have been sorted and were my own fault as I did not address the windscreen rubber after taking the front wings off :wall:

Off to test the Audi A3 now having just replaced the drivers seat buckle.

:cheers:

Bob

:cheers:

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
no not quite yet....as rick says!

Attachments

• Resized_20181103_070317.jpeg.jpg
    Resized_20181103_070317.jpeg.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 183

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
As the comment went back when Miatas first appeared (and were being advertised with some yokel observing that they were available in his favourite colour: British Racing Green), if you wanted a reliable British sports car - buy a Miata. From the visuals to the characteristics of the Miata, I figure that there was a lot of truth in that observation. Says a guy who's never owned one. Doug

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have owned a '96 Miata M Edition since 1998. According to Mazda records, it is #50 of 2,314 M Edition cars built in model year 1996. It was leased to its first keeper for two years and has every option offered on the M-Edition in 1996 except the hardtop. The Miata cut down a bit on the mileage I was putting on the BJ8 on business trips, which is the main reason I bought it. Since retirement 12 years ago, I drive it rarely now. I like the car just fine, but it does have one annoying feature: after about two hours on the road, my right leg begins to cramp and there seems to be nothing I can do to relieve that. The seat is back against the bulkhead. IMHO, the Healey is much more comfortable (and fun) to drive on longer trips.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have owned a '96 Miata M Edition since 1998. According to Mazda records, it is #50 of 2,314 M Edition cars built in model year 1996. It was leased to its first keeper for two years and has every option offered on the M-Edition in 1996 except the hardtop. The Miata cut down a bit on the mileage I was putting on the BJ8 on business trips, which is the main reason I bought it. Since retirement 12 years ago, I drive it rarely now. I like the car just fine, but it does have one annoying feature: after about two hours on the road, my right leg begins to cramp and there seems to be nothing I can do to relieve that. The seat is back against the bulkhead. IMHO, the Healey is much more comfortable (and fun) to drive on longer trips.

You should start the Miata "M" Registry now for when they become highly collectible 20 years in the future.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You should start the Miata "M" Registry now for when they become highly collectible 20 years in the future.

The BJ8 is my first love, and the BJ8 Registry is a full-time job. To me, the Miata is just a car. Somebody needs to do a registry who is passionate about the car.