• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Invasion of the Blue Birds!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
This morning we had an unreal number of Western Blue Birds out in the yard. Just doing a quick count I'd estimate there were at least 50-60 birds flying all over in our pinion trees. Amazing! Here are a few shots I took this morning. (There's a mystery bird at the end - how many can ID this bird?)

Western Blue Bird Feb 2019-0001.jpg

Western Blue Bird Feb 2019-0008.jpg

Western Blue Bird Feb 2019-0046.jpg

Western Blue Bird Feb 2019-0059.jpg

Ok, who can tell me what this fellow is? (Hint, it's not a blue bird. Hint#2 they are sometimes seen in New Mexico, but they are not indigenous to the southwest and don't breed here. Probably just stopped off while migrating.)

Western Blue Bird NOT Feb 2019-0023.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks. One of the coolest birds I've seen at Sturbridge is the Baltimore oriole.

Really neat looking bird. Haven't seen one for a few years tho'.

65_BRG_Sprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
One of my favorite memories of a trip to Montana is a flock of western bluebrdson a mountain top.
I have 6 eastern bluebirds at a feeder daily, much welcomed color in drab Ohio February.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks. One of the coolest birds I've seen at Sturbridge is the Baltimore oriole.

Really neat looking bird. Haven't seen one for a few years tho'.

Here's a whole flock of 'em, Tom:

orioles.jpg

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The pictures shown are not Western Bluebirds but Mountain Bluebirds. As an aside, I've never seen one, but I have seen Eastern and Western Bluebirds. Mountain Bluebirds scatter in Winter into small flocks and may show up at suitable feeders. The Cedar Waxwing has a crest but sometimes it's folded. The Bohemian Waxwing is a little bigger and huskier. Good photos though.