• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Lotus Elan S4..Bodywork evaluation..Strip & Paint?

djb222

Freshman Member
I’m afraid I’ve been ignoring the Elephant in the room with regards to my Elan, namely the body work. So yesterday I had a detailed look at it and decided it needs attention. Especially with the effort being put into the mechanicals
The paint job is not the best, I think it needs stripping back. Some areas of the GRP needs attention. I’ve never restored a GRP car before but am going to give it a go, given that I don’t have the £8K plus for a professional job.
Have a look at what needs attention on the video…. Words of wisdom and advice gratefully received TA!
https://youtu.be/_WDbRo8jPDQ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Kudos, David. Diving into GFRP refinishing feet first! The only way to strip it is mechanically, to my knowledge. I made an awful mistake when back in '75 we didn't take mine down to gelcoat. I repaired all the cracks and imperfections we found but left the original colour coat largely intact. It has subsequently become semi-solid under the top coat I sprayed. We used PPG products; sealer, primer and finish. On beginning to sand all now, the first finish coat under the repaint has turned to a gel-like goo. I've put the car into storage and am admittedly daunted at the prospect of having to gear up for the task.

Your vid is a bit of a motivator, you may embarrass me into action now. :wink:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Classic Motorworks restored Lotus Elan not too long ago. They do have their pictures and suggested to dos online.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Even though I've got a Plus 2 Elan, I've not touched the body work yet as it is presentable and I've lots of chassis and mechanical stuff to deal with. But I have done a bunch of fiberglass boats, from little cosmetic ding repair to major hull sections. I'll just add a few comments to Drentropy's post above. It may not be necessary to remove all the old paint but leave a large margin of bare fiberglass around any repairs. Cut out any cracks that go all the way though the panels and make a proper patch. Don't try to fill them. When patching, use the same laminate schedule as original. Use polyester resin as original too.
I'm sure others might do it differently but this has worked for me.
The Lotus workshop manual has a detailed section on body repairs also.
Tom

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Having done many many GRP cars, I would recommend the following.
Plastic media blasting is the best way to strip ALL old paint and primers from the body.
Cracked areas need to be bevel cut and filled with resin and glass matt, NOT clothe. I use tooling resin for all glass work. Once finished, apply a new gel coat and primer serfacer and rub down.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
When doing some minor repairs both to my vintage Corvette and Cobr* replica I found that products from West Marine were top grade and made long lasting fixes

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Having done many many GRP cars, I would recommend the following.
Plastic media blasting is the best way to strip ALL old paint and primers from the body.
Cracked areas need to be bevel cut and filled with resin and glass matt, NOT clothe. I use tooling resin for all glass work. Once finished, apply a new gel coat and primer serfacer and rub down.

I'm curious about using the tooling resin. It is formulated for making molds and not for making repairs. It also has a very short shelf life. What is the advantage?
I've also sprayed colored gel coat on boat repairs but that made the finished coating, no paint over it. Paint or primer goes right over standard polyester resin.
Perhaps I'm missing something?
Tom

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Holds to previous glass and fiber. Cars I do are minus gel coat from the factory. Many, if not most of the cars I do live in warm climates and need the extra step to make them last. Micro blissing is not a fun thing to deal with. I have cars out there that are on my original paint and prep for now on 30 years with out issue....must be doing something correctly?

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
After thinking about all of this for a bit, it occurred to me that perhaps your Lotus Elan might not be the best project to practice fiberglass work on. While it is fairly straight forward, there is a bit of a learning curve, and mistakes can make things worse or much worse.
How about looking for an old boat or canoe to practice on?
Just a thought.
Tom

vixen-mk2

If you have no experience on glass fiber like myself i would grab any help Grantura offers you with both hands i have seen his work and its second to none i may be the other side of the world but when i get stuck i pick up the phone and my skype account has more than paid dividend over the years with the help David has very kindly given.
Sadly i dont have access to media blasting on my car thats going off to paint shortly but in fairness if i could not afford a professional paint job i would live with the imperfections until i could its not as if its going to rust or anything
Andrew