• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When did gloves become required for every job?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
I have noticed recently that everyone on you tube working on almost anything wear gloves. Mechanics put on gloves before they work on motors, gardeners put on gloves and woodworkers have to get gloved up.
Welding gloves I get as well as gloves if you are handling sheet metal but it seems to have gone to the extreme now.

Or it may be me.

David

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I don’t wear gloves unless it’s a safety issue or something that won’t wash of easily.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Latex gloves make it easier, just pull them off and throw them in the trash! A lot easier than scrubbing for half an hour getting the crud off. More friendly shaking hands also. :highly_amused: PJ

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since most automotive fluids are not good for your skin, I wear the nitrile gloves when working on the Healey, or any of the others. Nitrile has rather good chemical resistance.

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Many jobs at work require gloves and I have gotten used to using gloves as a result. I now use gloves for many jobs at home. Prevents a lot of minor finger injuries and is much easier to clean up. I think the big difference is that modern stretchy gloves are comfortable, cheep and have better grip than your fingers.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Most times it depends on the job, for me. Nitrile if petrochemicals are involved, particularly on a disassembly. Though I must admit I forget to put them on in a lot of instances, too many years of working without 'em. And the scars to back me up.

I do remember to use them for ~any~ job on the diesel, even raising the hood. Diesela's a dirty girl.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I used to never work with gloves, now for a quick job I wear the nitrile, but for a bigger job, whenever I try to wear the gloves they will inevitably tear at some point. I will put a new one on, but after the third or fourth time I just keep working.

I do wear them when I paint a car with the big guns, and sometimes when I spray paint just to make hand clean up easier.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Since most automotive fluids are not good for your skin, I wear the nitrile gloves when working on the Healey, or any of the others. Nitrile has rather good chemical resistance.

I wear nitrile also any time I'm working in anything there I know I'm likely to get grease or other fluids on my hands.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Since you brought up this
can of Worms.jpg

I usually buy mine from Costco.
I am about out and I am looking for a stronger one.
What brand do most like?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I said Latex in my first post, but actually their Nitril I get off the net, 100 to a box. PJ

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Since you brought up this
View attachment 57389
I usually buy mine from Costco.
I am about out and I am looking for a stronger one.
What brand do most like?

I usually get mine at Harour freight - they are cheap and usually do an adequate job. If one breaks, I have several boxes more. They probably are not the strongest our there but for most jobs they have been fine.

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
It is not that I am opposed to the use of gloves. I do use them when I am dealing with solvents and some very dirty engine work but I feel very clumsy in them.
It just seems their use has escalated to an almost must have.

What brought it to the top for me was watching someone drilling holes with a drill press in fairly short pieces of steel holding the piece in gloved hands. Bad on two fronts.
Hand holding on a drill press is asking for trouble. (I admit I do it sometimes but not with very short pieces)
Gloves around a drill press or lathe are not a good idea but I did start in an era when you wore a neck tie to work and were advised to keep it tucked in your shirt while around moving machines.

David

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I wear them most times except when I’m trying to start a screw or a nut. Especially when working under the dash and you can’t see. Without the gloves offers more tactile feel.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
For years never wore them. But, shops provide them for protection against the fluids, as a cancer risk. Heavy gloves for metal fabrication, welding ,etc. Nitril for mechanical wotk, easier to clean grease and oil smears off. Years back the hand cleaners had lanolin as a base, now considered a cancer hazard. Orange stuff, some people get sick of the smell. Gloves help U.N.il they tear and dawn/water mixed in a spray bottle works good as a cleaner of dirty hands.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The ones at Harbor Freight come in a medium weight (100/box) or heavy weight (50/box). I mostly use the heavy weight ones for mechanical work. I'll use the medium weight for painting or emptying the RV tanks.

Neither come with worms.

I wear leather gloves for pruning roses.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Did some quick research
They have a mil size on them
8 mil is the thickest I seen in a quick search