• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nana's 8th grade Civics book

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My Grandmother's (Nana) 8th grade civics book.

Our Civic Life.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I'm afraid that's a subject omitted from many classrooms - and public conversations - these days. It was required in our Texas schools in every grade after fifth grade, at least until I left Texas in 1973.

What's the copyright/printing date on that book?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Civics, history, English, simple math, writing cursive... the state of our "modern" basic education makes my brain hurt. We're now into a couple generations of "digital dependency". It does not bode well for our future, I fear.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Do kids today read books? Do they have spelling sessions? How about math, can they do it on paper or use a calculator? :rolleyes2: :indecisiveness:.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I know that most schools no longer teach cursive writing.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A number of years ago the great state of Oklahoma eliminated cursive from the elementary curriculum. Once these kids made it to my classroom I had to start teaching cursive because I refuse to write in print. The state has realized its mistake and has reintroduced cursive to the curriculum in a couple of years I should see kids that can read and write it again.

I teach remedial High School English and can affirm that we still teach literature, I just finished Moby Dick (highly abridged, I only have a couple of weeks to make it through it) with my English III class. I also teach writing with an emphasis on grammar. Most of my students do not read outside of the classroom and it is to their detriment.

Next year I'll be moving to the History department and am looking forward to the change of pace.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
High School English killed my desire to read. Before I entered HS, I had already gone through The Hobbit, the next 3 books, the Dune trilogy. Somewhere before 12th grade, I had read some Stephen King (including The Stand). Then English Lit. forced To Kill a Mockingbird and The Invisible Man (R. Ellison) on me. Dissecting the symbolism was the last nail in the coffin.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a story I often hear. Too many people have to read things that don't interest them and puts them off of the author, the genre, or even reading in general. I had a high school teacher that was so enamored with Walden and insisted on dissecting every little thing in the book that I refused to read anything by Thoreau for years and really only revisited him on becoming a teacher. I have always tried to shy away from being that kind of teacher, though I am sure I have pontificated ad nauseum once or twice when we are studying Steinbeck or Hemmingway.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm. I was a voracious reader from about third grade, onward. Read any book I got my hands on. Still can't spel, and punctuation eludes me. :smirk:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That is a story I often hear. Too many people have to read things that don't interest them and puts them off of the author, the genre, or even reading in general. I had a high school teacher that was so enamored with Walden and insisted on dissecting every little thing in the book that I refused to read anything by Thoreau for years and really only revisited him on becoming a teacher. I have always tried to shy away from being that kind of teacher, though I am sure I have pontificated ad nauseum once or twice when we are studying Steinbeck or Hemmingway.

So sad when a teacher tries to "drill" his/her interest in a topic into the heads of the students. It don't work!

But asking students to search a short text (story, book, etc.) in order to answer a few questions - that gives the student a reason for reading, rather than just having to read under orders. Unless students have a deep interest in decoding ancient languages, I'd sure never ask a general classroom to read all the way through Chaucer in the original Middle English!

วทes hal!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
How did you make the Wynn?

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
So I am not alone.

Probable suffer from a little dyslexia. Started reading for pleasure at about 11 or 12. Still miss spell the same words. Spell check is great but you do need to have an idea how it should be spelled.
Hand writing sucks as well.

David

hmmm. I was a voracious reader from about third grade, onward. Read any book I got my hands on. Still can't spel, and punctuation eludes me. :smirk:

Country flag
I see this young lady every now and then at a local coinshow, comes with her parents who sell, and she once complained to me about how boringshe found the subject and wasnโ€™t doing well in it. We sat down for a few minutes and I talkedabout how it related to the elections, how they worked, how it evolved, and howI felt everything that ever happened led to that moment. And that someday sheโ€™d be one of the ones incharge and having that basic at least understanding of why the processes arewhat they are would help her understand government. Next time I ran into them she time me she wasnow getting As and Bs because I was the first to explain why it was importantto know these things. Not having kids ofmy own, it was nice to be able to serve as a positive influence on a youngmind.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
That is a story I often hear. Too many people have to read things that don't interest them and puts them off of the author, the genre, or even reading in general.
My father had a neighbor who happened to be an English teacher. He had his students reading Stephen King. This was around '82-'84. Wish I had been is his class.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Tom, you're a peach.

Pax tecum.