• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

62 tri-carb fuel line connection

• Thread starter Deleted member 21878
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21878

i am having a bit of trouble trying to come up with a conversion from my fuel line to my carbs.

i bought a new main fuel line from Healey Surgeons and it came with a fitting soldered to it on the carb end. i bought a pipe fitting with a 1/4" hose barb on the other side. threads up nice, but it leaks.

not sure what i was... or wasn't... thinking at the time but the fitting bottoms out before it seats. So it will leak.

Today i went to the auto parts store, a couple of them actually, and came up with a plan that looked better. i bought 5/16 inverted flare fuel line fitting. but when i got home they would not thread up. wrong thread. So i went to Lowes and looked at compression fittings. again the 5/16 would not thread up.

So it looks like only a 1/4" pipe thread is the right thread. back to the original fitting. but again it is too deep a thread to seat the fitting on the line.

as i have it right now, i took the neural out of the 5/16 compression fitting and put it in the pipe fitting i have hoping maybe it will press enough edge to seal the line. it was too late to test today. but i know this can't be the right answer.

i was hoping someone here had bought bought a fuel line from the Surgeons and had found the answer. i can also try to call them in the morning and see what they suggest. i went on the Moss website to see what they do. they show a 7" hose there but it is NA.

suggestions?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have an untouched tri carb set up in my shop ready for my project . I will have a look at it on the weekend when Im in the shop engine building at what the connection is and take a couple of pics .
Does the fitting you have maybe just need a copper washer ?
It to freakin cold to venture to the shop right now .

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

No. It is where the main line ends and a hose connects to go to the front carb. The book shows a hose with a fitting. I thin maybe the hose was like a brake line flex hose with a fitting on the end. That probably has a more shallow female end. And probably some sort of flare in it to fit the male fitting on the main line.

And dont go go out for this. Ain’t worth it.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Not sure if this helps ?

Attachments

• EECEB236-FE3D-4EA5-AA11-3D450F0CC953.jpg
    EECEB236-FE3D-4EA5-AA11-3D450F0CC953.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 139

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If it's like mine, the main (hard) line ends in a flare fitting. The tubing is 5/16" dia with a flair and a male flare fitting on it. It's like a brake fitting, only larger.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

the main line has a male fitting on it. thinking it is a 1/4 BSF fitting? i have looked at the Healey Surgeon catalog and it appears they make a hose with a connection for the first carb, which is what i need.

also think i could buy the "fuel line to front carb" for the MGA from Moss. Cut the line in half and make it work. they look to have the same main line fitting. just don't know if that line is 5/16 or 1/4. Going to try and order a line from HS first.

Thanks

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

John
man, i swear that was not listed a few days ago. it showed n/a. but yes that is what i am looking for.

well except, if you look at the picture of the hose it shows a fitting on both ends. that would not be correct. the one end just uses a hose clamp on the carb float bowl. so i wonder if they just added this as something that would work. if it comes the way it shows, you would have to cut the line. And then i wonder if you could not just use the one for the MGA. it is only 18.49 vs 33.99.

either way, i am fine. got a hold of Healey Surgeons today and they had one to ship me. So i should have that in a couple of days and be fine. Now i need to decide if i want to put the fuel filter i was using back in or leave it out.

while i was waiting for this hose... i decided i did not want to fight with the nuts on the air breathers anymore so i took a cue from someone here on this site and drilled a hole in each stud. then slid a cotter pin in each one. well except the very back one on the back carb. it is too hard to see the hole to get the pin in. so on that one i put the nut back on. at least on that nut, i can get my half wrench (cut in half) on it to turn it.

also made sure the nuts would go over the holes (and cover them) in case i ever wanted to go back to nuts but i can't imagine wanting to do it. So much easier to pull the pins.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

My line came today from Healey Surgeons and it looks like it is going to do the job. i am guessing they take one of the other lines and cut one end off of it. then add the robber end for the hose connection. this hose was like 20" long and only needs to be about 9. i cut it in half and move the rubber end.
IMG_0737.jpg

the only change for me is that i had a fuel filter installed at this location. i have a solid line from the pump to this flex hose so a good place. these cars did not come with a fuel filter and i wonder what the thinking is on installing one. i have a brand new fuel tank, new pump and lines. when i took the filter off there was some small bits of sediment in there but not a lot.

thoughts on putting the filter back in? easy to cut the line again and insert the filter.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Each of the carbs and the pump should have fine screens on the inlets. Those should be sufficient, but my filter is near the pump under the rear seat. The way my rear seats are held in place, it only takes two screws to remove each one.

OP
D

Deleted member 21878

John
thanks for that. you made me think for a minute. first thought was my car is not a concours restoration.

So i put the fuel filter back in. while the screens in the carbs may do the job, it has got to be more of a pain to clean them than to clean one filter if the need arises.