• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wireless Router

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am looking to purchasing a new wireless router for my home. I found this router Medialink AC1200 online and the price/specs look good (to me).
Is it a matter of "you get what you pay for" in purchasing a router? I purchased two Roku+ sticks (Thank you Mickey) but it appears my current router is not up to the task since I often get buffering which is to say the least annoying.
Anyone using the Medialink AC1200?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Don't know anything about that one. We have three Roku devices and three computers; using a Netgear C3700 router without any problems.
Are you sure it's the router at issue?

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Before replacing your router, I would make sure that your upstream connection from the router to the cable/dsl/fiber/whataver service you have is not the bottleneck. The internet is only as fast as the SLOWEST link in the chain, which could be your router. But it would be unpleasant to spend money on a new one only to find out that you're running out of bandwidth further up the chain. If you have cable or DSL the modem device that your router connects to on the upstream side may be the bottleneck, or it may be that you just don't have enough bandwidth available from the provider. Worth verifying before commiting to a purchase.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks guys.... I had Comcast (my isp) out to my house to check things out. The service guy said my modem was performing as it should and that he thought the router was my problem. Just before typing this I did a speed test and got 42.7 Mbps which should be adequate but there are times when it is 10Mbps and lower. My router is old and probably a single channel so replacing the router can only help.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Elliot - one way to find if a router problem exists, is to do your speed test without using the router. Direct ethernet cable connection. Do it several times, day and night, and see if your actual *internet* connection is slowing down at different times.

If you're measuring 42.7 at one time, and 10 at another, you don't know if it's the router or the internet feed itself.

Tom M.