Thread: Wireless Router

The Pub is: Forum to generally shoot the breeze. It is NOT: a debate forum (NO Politics, religion, or controversial topics.) Keep it clean, fun and lite!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Wireless Router

I am looking to purchasing a new wireless router for my home. I found this router Medialink AC1200 online and the price/specs look good (to me).
    Is it a matter of "you get what you pay for" in purchasing a router? I purchased two Roku+ sticks (Thank you Mickey) but it appears my current router is not up to the task since I often get buffering which is to say the least annoying.
    Anyone using the Medialink AC1200?
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Re: Wireless Router

Don't know anything about that one. We have three Roku devices and three computers; using a Netgear C3700 router without any problems.
    Are you sure it's the router at issue?
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud - '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (both SOLD! ); Victor TF 1800; '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Jedi Hopeful
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Before replacing your router, I would make sure that your upstream connection from the router to the cable/dsl/fiber/whataver service you have is not the bottleneck. The internet is only as fast as the SLOWEST link in the chain, which could be your router. But it would be unpleasant to spend money on a new one only to find out that you're running out of bandwidth further up the chain. If you have cable or DSL the modem device that your router connects to on the upstream side may be the bottleneck, or it may be that you just don't have enough bandwidth available from the provider. Worth verifying before commiting to a purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts

Thanks guys.... I had Comcast (my isp) out to my house to check things out. The service guy said my modem was performing as it should and that he thought the router was my problem. Just before typing this I did a speed test and got 42.7 Mbps which should be adequate but there are times when it is 10Mbps and lower. My router is old and probably a single channel so replacing the router can only help.
    Elliot
    Central PA
    1973 TR6 Damson Plum / Biscuit interior, HVDA 5-speed, Good Parts Hubs
    1976 TR6 White/Biscuit interior SOLD
    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts

Elliot - one way to find if a router problem exists, is to do your speed test without using the router. Direct ethernet cable connection. Do it several times, day and night, and see if your actual *internet* connection is slowing down at different times.

If you're measuring 42.7 at one time, and 10 at another, you don't know if it's the router or the internet feed itself.

Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.