• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bit o' memorabilia found

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
A pic of me mum, a 924 race prepped and Mitsy's first MGB in the background.

JoSCCA.jpg

Attachments

• JoSCCA.jpg
    JoSCCA.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 15

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great photo.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
That's pretty cool! You have a cool Mum! Where and when was this (approximately)?

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cool pic doc. Your mom qualifies for the fast lane.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's the story behind the picture?
Would you ACTUALLY admit to owning a 924?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you didn't get her hair :devilgrin:

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
NOT MINE, Doug! 1978 date, in western PA. Worked at a Porsche dealership and that was a car we'd prepped for a client. An early SCCA Street/Track class. Can't recall what they classified it as. Ran it to the parents' house as a shakedown test.

That one is probably garden art now as well, D! :smirk:

I've inherited the paternal grandfather's (lack of) hair, JP. Missed some of the less critical genes on the Italian side. :wink:

A PDF story about one of the owners of the dealership, sadly gone now. He brought Porsche into the store. Prior to that, I sold Alfa, Lotus and American Motors cars there. Yeah, I sold Pacers... *sigh*

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Funny how they start to redeem themselves - I don't see them often but regularly - and I think they are looking pretty good.

Would have a 928 in a heartbeat.

https://beromotors.com/car-for-sale-2/1982-porsche-928/

I almost bought a 928 while on TDY in Germany back in the 80s. I got cold feet when I learned all the upgrades I'd have to make to bring it up to US standards so that I could import it to US (it was Euro spec). I'd would have had to pay a bond (several thousand) until it passed muster. I test drove it on the Autobahn and boy was it fun!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
โ€œYeah, I sold Pacers... *sigh*โ€

That was the first car we bought just after we were married. It was the Sport model. The wheels were the best part of the car.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elliot said:
The wheels were the best part of the car.

:iagree:

"Hecho en Mexico". Issues with Q.C., The bottom-end of the engines was problematic, ISTR.

Left the dealership late in '76, went back in '79 as a wrench. Initially as the resident Lotus tech, went through Porsche-Audi training and ASE (then NIASE) Certification to work on the others. Didn't do any AMC work (thankfully).

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I wanted a 928 since the first time I ever saw one. Almost bough one about 15 years ago when really good ones were selling for $15K but I was retiring and the cost of upkeep scared me away (I still have a parts catalog from that time). Seeing some of the going prices today, it looks like they are finally starting to be appreciated like they should have been all along.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Though AMC got a bum rap, if I had room for it (and some extra coin) I would have an AMX in an instant!

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Though AMC got a bum rap, if I had room for it (and some extra coin) I would have an AMX in an instant!

Yup. Me too. That was a totally different animal.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I once did some work for a guy who had an AMX and a Javelin.

OP
DrEntropy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If you read that linked PDF, the dealership history and the car in my photo have much in common. That dealership was one big family. If I would've been willing to put up with winters I'd likely have been there for the duration.

The "Two Bobs" were stellar individuals. Pretty sure the Audi 100LS in the article was Paulette's daily. I've "layed hands" on a couple of those cars. And Scotty George was our upstairs neighbor in a six apartment house we called the "SPAA kibbutz". All but one apartment was occupied by someone working at the dealership. Many pleasant memories of the folks and the projects at that facility.

Still on my tool box, a bit tatty but proudly displayed in any case.

SPAAlogo2.JPG

EDIT: I *think* that 924 and the one in the article are the same car. I guess it didn't become garden art after all.

Last edited: