• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking at an English Wheel

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Any advice on buying one? I see them from less than $300. at HF to what looks like almost the same thing for $600.00. I need to make some aluminum parts for my old sports/racer and heck it is a tool I don't own.

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
They say start with a basic wheel. By the time you waste a few pieces of metal and get the hang of it, you won't need another one.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Do the more expensive ones come with more than one wheel set?
Stronger Frame?

HF seems to be trying to improve their products and in a lot of cases us non pro users their tools are just fine. Some tools you need the best you can afford.

David

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The more expensive ones have more accessories and are heavier, some are not able to be broken down for moving. I have to make the panels for my 64 Plymouth but I bought repair panels for the Jag. I have an assortment of HF tools for destruction or modifying tools. My Craftsman are for normal junk use, but my SnapOn, MatCo and Mac are for more precise grip on bolts and nuts. I did buy a Woodward Fab bead roller, as HF was the same price and Fab's shipping was cheaper. If you do an HF wheel, might check with HF and see if they have more rollers. Summit Racing, Eastwood and Jegs have basically identical wheels with available rollers. If you plan on doing more than what you are doing, go for the gold.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
seems like the rigidity of the frame is key for these and bead rollers. Have seen HF ones reinforced and others who coughed up for the heavier ones.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I have several concerns about the HF and other inexpensive wheels (youtube and other reviews): wheel roundness, alignment and wobble. It is difficult enough to learn to use this machine so I don't want to have to fight with it. HF no longer supplies a selection of anvil wheels, but I understand these can be purchased other places; huge variation in price for these also. I envision some China manufacturing as a giant Quonset building with with differing colors of the same product coming out different doors. I don't want to pay more for the same inferior product with different color powder coat determining the price. There is the problem.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Unfortunately that is the way it goes these days. Almost everything is made in china in the same factory and the seller choses the level of quality.

It took 2 engine hoists from Tractor supply before I got one that worked. The first one the cylinder would not lift the arm let alone an engine.

David

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Patrick67BJ8 Wanted Looking for a used BJ8 switch panel. Austin Healey Classifieds 5
B Looking to buy Toyota Avensis T25, any thoughts and advice? Other Cars 1
AngliaGT Anyone Looking for a '28 Buick Drive Train for FREE? Other Cars 0
jfarris Looking for service options for a 2016 Lexus NX300h in Tyson's Corner VA Other Cars 0
T TR2/3/3A Looking for a TR3A front bumper Triumph 6
E TR6 looking for info on doing a T5 swap Triumph 5
E Wanted looking for a tr6 bell housing Triumph Classifieds 12
BJ8Healeys Location of VIN tag, 1964 Sprite HAN8L43421 (I know it's stamped on the frame. Looking for the tag.) Spridgets 8
T Looking for "BillMs rear transmission mount" Spridgets 2
R Wanted Looking For A Rear Glass For A Bugeye Hardtop Spridgets Classified 0
Racer-X- Looking for old parts catalog(ue)s with listings/part numbers for early 1960s Vanden Plas 4 Litre Princess Restoration & Tools 3
V Wanted Looking for SU HIF4 Linkages. MG Classifieds 0
Got_All_4 TR6 2nd Gear Bush Problem TR6 Looking at Steel Triumph 12
JPSmit A fairly specific looking bolt Spridgets 10
Celtic 77 MGB Looking for best info regarding throttle cable replacement. MG 16
R Wanted Looking for an original AH 3000 Mk1 Drivers Manual 1102B. Austin Healey Classifieds 1
D Wedge Looking for British Car Day Events Triumph 2
T Looking for recommendations re using a Seacan for vehicle storage Spridgets 7
BJ8Healeys Looking for BJ8 VIN HBJ8L40768 Austin Healey 0
M Wanted Looking for genuine Austin-Healey bonnet badge Austin Healey Classifieds 1
M Looking for Lucas parts catalogue British Motor Corp 13
tj_tr3_tr6 TR4/4A looking for Machine Shop TR4 Valve Job Ventura - Los Angeles area Triumph 4
idlehands GT6 What gotchas when looking for a GT6+ Triumph 10
BillyB62 TR2/3/3A Looking for the Owner of a TR3 Triumph 5
Got_All_4 Wedge Looking at a Local TR8 For Sale Little Ruff Triumph 1
F TR2/3/3A looking for door latch review Triumph 7
roscoe The future is looking up Austin Healey 4
Joel Lester TR2/3/3A Looking for helpful hints for door hinge screw removal Triumph 17
DrEntropy Looking thru old pix Other Cars 8
T 1972 MGB GT for sale in San Francisco, looking for a good home MG Classifieds 1
vping T-Series Looking for TD Part # MG 3
T Wanted Looking for a solid [but doesn't have to be perfect] 100-6 Austin Healey Classifieds 17
F GT6 Looking to sell - in progress restoration Triumph 19
Lin Looking for a part Spridgets 1
Lin MGB MGB and MGC - looking for a part MG 1
H Wanted Looking for TR4A intake # 307455 Triumph Classifieds 3
Y Wanted Looking for running 3.5L MK V engine Jaguar Classifieds 0
steveg TR6 Newbie looking for hopup guidance Triumph 15
Guido36 Looking for upholsterer recommendation for Healey 100 in Southern California Austin Healey 5
SherpaPilot TR6 Looking For Opinions on Seat Covers Triumph 9
S Wanted Looking for a new/used crankshaft for a 100-4 Austin Healey Classifieds 0
R TR6 Looking for Oil Filler Cap TR4/TR6 Triumph 7
pbraun Looking for 64 or 65 Mokes British Motor Corp 0
T Looking for a temporary cup holder - but my heart is pure Spridgets 9
angelfj1 TR2/3/3A Possible UK Source for Authentic looking Clutch/Brake MC Triumph 5
catfood Looking for suggestions - ignition issue Austin Healey 6
W Looking for engine rebuilding 100-6 Austin Healey 12
C Looking for SoCal restoration shop Austin Healey 4
R GT6 Looking to purchase GT6 Rust repair question? Triumph 4
Andy Blackley Wanted Looking for TR4 or $A Triumph Classifieds 16