Thread: Snow Removal

Discuss general restoration and car care topics (paint & body, upholstery, woodworking, etc) as well as tools.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Snow Removal

So in building the new garage we have poured a driveway that is about 40" long and starts about 30' wide, tapering to 20' by the time it reaches the street.

My whole life I have been rugged man or stupid man depending on your point of view, and just used a shovel (it is in the genes, my dad proudly believed in the benefits of a push mower, not gas mower which isn't self ptopelled, a reel mower powered by one teenager)

However, I am not getting any younger, and the new garage faces north, which means mother nature is of no help removing the snow, which turns to ice and lingers all winter if I drive over it and compact it.

Nebraska winters are highly variable, we may get a few inches of snow the whole winter, ora few feet. Last winter we had a dozen or more dustings of 1 or 2 inches, this winter we have already had two snows over half a foot.

So I am thinking middle range snowblower, $250-500 or so, but I really don't know much about them. They also have electric battery operated now, imagine those run through the juice pretty quickly.

Other option is a blade for my Cub Cadet XT1, which is more of a riding mower than a lawn tractor, I think it could do it, but I might fry the transmission prematurely.

Lastly, could just hire a service, I have no idea how much this costs, really not my way to do things.

Any thoughts or advice?

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

Re: Snow Removal

You are a lucky man! Having a poured driveway makes the whole snow removal problem a lot easier to solve. I can't put a solid surface over my 300 foot long gravel driveway, as it's too close to neighbor's septic field.

Just about any dual stage blower will take care of a few inches of fluffy snow. It's the heavy/wet stuff that many blowers can't handle; just "oozes" out of the chute.

So I do the 2-6 inches light snow with a hand shovel/scraper, pushing it to the sides. The heavy wet stuff, I actually can't shovel (too heavy for me, and there are *no* services here who want to do gravel driveways. A truck with a plow on the front inevitably wrecks the gravel surface. Edit: there are no young folks anywhere who want to do outside work. They'd rather play their video games. yeesh

My 5 hp Craftsman blower will handle up to a foot of light snow - but not the heavy wet "heart attack" stuff. So I have to live with it and wait for it to melt. I just go to the driveway threshold (asphalt) at the main road, and continually scrape it down with the shovel. It's the massive piles that the DOT plows leave at the driveway threshold that drive me nuts.

If you decide to get a blower, I've heard many negative stories about the "three stage" machines; they have "throw power" for light snow, but get even more clogged up with heavy wet stuff than the two stage machines. As I'm not getting any younger (!), I'll probably get an 8 hp blower when they go on sale this spring. If I live that long!

If you can get someone to use a truck and plow, go for it. But you'll still need a small blower for sidewalks, garage entrance area, etc, where the plow can't/won't go.

Hope this helps.
    Tom M.
    Mac & Phyllis Take a Trip: http://nutmegflyer.com/trip-details-daily-updates/
    History: 1976 MGB, 1959 Triumph TR3A, 1960 Mercedes-Benz 190b, 1958 Rambler American.
    Current: 1953 MG TD27318.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I lived in Milwaukee for 15 years, last house had a 3 car garage with an L driveway. Get the biggest snowblower you can afford. Mine was a 22, but its not like mowing grass, you have to overlap a lot. So coverage per pass is only 1/2 to 2/3 of the width. I wanted a bigger one for the 15 years I owned that one.

If you want your wife to use it, get one with a differential for easier turns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks Tom, I did forget to mention that when I was younger we would almost always get a kid d or two at the door who would shovel for a few bucks, haven't seen that for a long time.

I have a large corner lot, but no sidewalks, just a walkway to the house, which is pretty easy.

Thanks for the info on snow blowers, helpful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    90 Posts

For the first several years we lived in New Mexico had a rather small electric show blower that wasn't much good for snow more that about 6 inches. Then, after we had a couple really good, deep snow dumps I decided to upgrade. Ended up with a Troy-Built 26" that is self-propelled with 6 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds. It also has electric start (plug-in, not battery) which I really love! So far we haven't had a snow that this thing couldn't handle.

me_snow.jpg
    The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest intention. - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Thanks Basil

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Mine faces north also, but 50' wide and 18' to the street. If the snow is dry, I sweep with broom. This last one was 12" and wet. Shoveled out an 18' wide to street. Next day did the 8' to street. Wife bought me one of those electric snow shovels, have had it over 10 yrs, used once, threw too many rocks.
    Larry K
    58 Jag 3.4 MK 1 auto under restoration, 57 Jag 3.4 MK1 manual ,
    03 Cooper S, 2011 Cooper S Countryman, 2011 Land Rover LR4 HSE LUX, 1964 Valiant V200
    Also had , 68 Cortina 1600E, 64 Spit 4 & 80 1500, 73 GT6 3, 71 XJ6, 79 XJ6, 86 XJS V-12, 53 XK120 OTS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

Good luck with finding a solution. We were fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to remove ourselves from the snow. Too many winters spent fighting "fat rain" in my youth, always with a shovel.

Though Basil's photo has me wanting to grab a blanket and go crawl into a corner in a fetal position, that TroyBuilt looks to be the best bet.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor