• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Quantum Mechanics John Esposito Quality overdrive parts

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Did a Google search and nothing came up for Quantum Mechanics. Looking for some quality overdrive parts for my J-type overdrive. Particularity the 3 main bearings. I was warned about the ones Moss sells as they do not last. Is John still in business or what's going on?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
His website has been "under construction" for a long time. But he was still in business the last I heard.
https://www.quantumechanics.com/

FWIW, I've had no trouble with the bearings I got from TRF.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was hoping TRF has a overdrive rebuild kit unless I missed something. Doing some research last night I found Rimmer brothers has a complete kit for rebuilding J-types.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
When I was rebuilding it was almost like the big 3 had cooperated so that each carried different parts, none carried any parts the others did, and between the 3 you could almost get what you needed. So, “no”, there is no rebuild kit that I know of. It would be nice to know if there is a supplier who does carry everything.

TR250Guy

Freshman Member
Country flag
Beware of buying anything from England that contains bearings. I bought an OD rebuild kit from Rimmers and it got hung up in customs for over a month and cost me a couple hundred dollars in fees and storage. Bearings are a redflag item since they apparently have a duty on them. I have talked to other people who have bought the kit and had no problems. You roll the dice and take your chances.

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the warning TR250 Guy that would be a big concern. Sorry to hear about your dilemma. My mechanic has a contact that rebuilds Stags and orders a lot from Rimmer Brothers almost every week. He is checking with him first. Hopefully that may make a difference.

philstr6

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Try overdrive repairs in england,I order overdrive parts from them all the time and have no problems shipping to me in california
Phil

WiscTR

Silver
Country flag
I recently (kind of recently) purchased an entire OD transmission from John Esposito and I recommend contacting him by e-mail rather than through the web-site. I received responses within a day and am (to this point) 100% satisfied. He ha# parts as well as complete assemblies.

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I too have had a very good experience with John at Quantum. I'm fortunate to only live about an hour from his shop so I had him rebuild my OD A type tranny instead of sending it to Macy's Garage. I felt his pricing and service was excellent and have had no issues for the past 2 driving seasons.

Bill
TS63273L

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Nice! I my mechanic is going to call him. Going to compare his info he gathered with local bearing suppliers and other links I've supplied.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you can find a number on the bearing, you can get a good-quality Timken bearing from any number of places. Even Amazon! Many non-Timken bearings use the Timken numbers, and your OD might have Timken bearings in it already.

Bearings are a dilemma for me. I don't like to replace good-quality, unworn bearings simply because they are old. On the other hand, everything has a lifetime, and it's possible that an old bearing has invisible flaws. But, generally, if they are good quality, smooth and don't show any significant wear, I usually don't replace them. I'd never replace them with a cheapo or no-name bearing.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you do find the Timken numbers, let me know and I'll add them to the SPC.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Another very positive vote for John Esposito at Quantum Mechanics!

After a botched overhaul by a friend of a friend in 2002 I boxed up my transmission and OD and shipped to John. Now after about 46,000 miles of totally incident free driving I can vouch for John's quality work. John recommended a name brand 30w non-detergent fluid. Hey if he had said use raw male kangaroo urine, that's what I would use!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My mechanic said he bought some quality bearing locally from Allied Bearings. I'll look at them and get the numbers for ya. I still asked him to call JE for advice.