• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Numbered Spark Plug Boots?

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
No, but I would suggest instead using the appropriate number of tie-wraps on each of the wires so that you can ID the correct one with low or no light.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Get some electrical wire numbers tape books . They come in a book and are thin strips of tape numbered 0 to 9 and you wrap it round the wire the number is repeated along its length so you can wrap around double and not cover the number up .

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Last edited:

RAC68

Darth Vader

As I remember, when accepting delivery of my BJ8P1 in April, 1964, each spark plug wire had a number (Black number on white color collar installed just past the plug boot. Is this what you are looking for?

mor-72023_w_ml.jpg

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag

As I remember, when accepting delivery of my BJ8P1 in April, 1964, each spark plug wire had a number (Black number on white color collar installed just past the plug boot. Is this what you are looking for?

mor-72023_w_ml.jpg

Ray(64BJ8P1)
Not sure about that color, but I bought a set from a Healey supplier that had black number on yellow collar.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I had the yellow ones from Moss. They were printed on a tube which was cut into slices as with a razor blade. Cuts were sloppy.

Replaced them with clip-on ones from one of the speed equipment suppliers. They easily fell off and I had to build wire clips to hold them on (retiree - too much time project).

IMO the shrink-on ones look like the best solution yet.

screenshot.1578.jpg
screenshot.1579.jpg

Last edited:

grimes6

Country flag
I think you are searching for the boots which were fitted to the earlier cars and finished with the BJ7. The BJ8's used the wrap around tags.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'll admit that using tie wraps/electrical ties on the boots as shown in the photo does require one additional step of having to count and then convert to a number (which can't be higher than six) but this is good exercise for all: For we analog folks it helps ward off senility and for those who grew up in the digital age it will help you relate to your parents/grandparents and is consistent with driving a 50-65 year old car.

Attachments

• sparkplugleadsAH.jpg
    sparkplugleadsAH.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 139

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Michael,

Good thing you don't have a 12 Cylinder under the bonnet.
Very nice looking engine compartment.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi Michael,

Good thing you don't have a 12 Cylinder under the bonnet.
Very nice looking engine compartment.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Yes Ray, that would require using both fingers and toes

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I had the yellow ones from Moss. They were printed on a tube which was cut into slices as with a razor blade. Cuts were sloppy.

Replaced them with come clip-on ones from one of the speed equipment suppliers. They easily fell off and I had to build wire clips to hold them on (retiree - too much time project).

IMO the shrink-on ones look like the best solution yet.
I bought my black on yellow ones from moss several years ago. Quality was much better then.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Contact Roger Moment, to get numbered spark plug boots. He had them made a number of years ago and I now I use them on my Longbridge BN4. Check with him if he still has any in his inventory

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Contact Roger Moment, to get numbered spark plug boots. He had them made a number of years ago and I now I use them on my Longbridge BN4. Check with him if he still has any in his inventory

So Individual boots are numbered 1 - 6 -- not slip-on sleeves? Do you have a picture?

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
the individual boots are numbered and are not slip-on sleeves. I will try to get a photo soon. currently everything is covered for the winter sorry
:driving:

OP
K

Kainopong

In the concours book, the early 100-6 and first series Abington BN4 used the same sleeve as the 100 except the numbers went to 6 (obviously)-they were about an inch long and the numbers were molded into the rubber.