• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Handbrake Handle

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
OK...this is really the latest post on poor parts being supplied. In this case the handle that screws onto the handbrake.

I assume the original handle was bakelite, but I do not know for sure. I have bought 3...yes, "three"!!...handles for my TR2. The latest repops are a very brittle plastic. They are so brittle the top cracks off if you screw them down even snug. The first and second I bought exploded on installation...even after not even fully snugging on the second try. For the 3rd, I left it loose...which was annoying at the least when you used the brake and have the handle spinning as you do.

Well, yesterday, not only did #3 handle shatter, but it sliced my thumb big time when it did. The shards are extrememly sharp, like glass!

I am at a loss. Has anyone found a supplier for a GOOD handle repop? I gues I should add SAFE, as these last 3, from both Moss and TRF are not!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Interesting. I was somewhat disappointed when I discovered that the grip I got from TRF back in 2008 was soft enough to bend with my fingers, and even arrived partially collapsed. But it worked fine once installed. I guess it was better than I knew!

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
You are not alone John ...same thing happened to mine. I was fortunate to find an old one in a parts bin that worked out fine but the new one was crap...

Cheers
Tush

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Leaving it loose is not the answer, it will break every time. I tried heating it up and installing it gently. Seems to work.
That or Duct tape. ;-)

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for posting John that was on my list to get parts. Bummer about the hand, that would push me over top. One solution might be to get the slid on grip and hillbilly it on there with glue or something. The one I took a picture off is from one that does not have threads and it is very supple, so maybe they are still that way. I am not sure when I got this, so the newer ones might be hard plastic. My project is a screw down also, so I am probably going to order the non-screw when I get around to it because this one has Powder blue over- spray like most things in my shop plus your post says a lot. Hopefully, the hand is out of pain. I have been looking for a motor home pulling a tr2 and now I will check and see if there is a handle on the e-brake.

steve

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
John:
Strange.. since I bought my Ebrake handle from TRF in 2003 or so and I simply screwed it on and it has been there since. The Ebrake is engaged religiously at stops.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana
54 TR2LD

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Mine were breaking just above the threads. I put a wrap of electrical tape around the lever near the top, which stopped the slight wobble and cured the breaking.

Bob

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the input, guys. My TR3A used a soft, rubber feeling handle which had to be stretched onto the handle...sort-of like a bicycle handlebar grip. It sounds kinda like yours, Randall. I think that may work on the early brake lever, although the threads would show below. In fact, there is no reason a bicycle grip wouldn't work!?

I've been having trouble getting the Wife to leave the twins, even though they are in college, and don't really care whether we are around or not. But next week we start for Colorado and will hit San Fran by March. I'd love to take the Triumph...but haven't gotten a trailer for it yet, so it'll be the old Rover trailing behind. But there will definitely be more trips once I break the Wife away from Texas!

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
And the tape idea has me thinking...(I know...dangerous!) If I can't find a good repop, then maybe I could wrap the brake arm with enough tape to bind the handle before the top hits. It would move the stress point down the handle to near the threads...I don't know. I'll keep thinking.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Somebody in the '80s made a replacement out of aluminum.
Screwed on nice & tight.
It worked great but it didn't look right
so I dipped in that stuff you cover your tools with.
The only suppliers I knew about then were Moss & Victoria British
so it had to one of those 2.
FRank

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Wish I could find an aluminum one, Frank! Anyway, I ordered your Ebay one, Dan. I think that is the way to go...it lists as "rubber", instead of hard plastic. I'll let all know how it fits once it arrives...

Thanks again all,

John

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I've bought two in the past few years...first broke after only a couple of years and the current one has been on for one full season.

Bill
TS63273L

OP
CJD

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, to close this thread out, I got the Ebay handle cover, and it was a rubberized cover...just like a kid’s bike handlebar cover. It took a minute or two to twist it down over the handle, but problem is solved! The hard plastic currently sold by the big 3 is simply not functional. The rubber one is visually the same, but it will never crack. It may take a twist or two every now and then to get it back into position, but that’s a lot better than cracking and cutting your hand!

On a side note...I finally passed through town, so I got a chance to run the TR2 after it sat for 3 months, mostly in sub-zero temps. No charger at all, and it started right up. Got to put 100 miles on it with no issues aside from getting a bit warm in grid-locked traffic. I tend to forget how fun these cars are. At least a dozen thumbs up, and about 6 cars taking video as they went by. The TR’s have to be the most fun for the dollar going!! Also...it always pays to do it right the first time around. I am glad I fought all the temptations to cut corners on the restoration, so I can just drive!

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
Tomorrow is a driving day for me. I have no top so the rain has slowed things down. Can't wait to open her up now that all the major kinks are out.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
Bumping this post...

I got curious about "rubber" handbrake grips versus the hard plastic version. I found ones made for the Morris Minis here:

https://www.minimania.com/part/13H5541/Classic-Mini-Grip-Handbrake-Early-Mini

I ordered one and only just recently installed it (my car was at Macy's Garage for the winter and early spring). It doesn't have internal threads, but fits very snuggly and shouldn't come loose with regular use. It's a very nice malleable vinyl, just like the old bicycle handlebar grips as John mentioned. Now if you want to replace the hard plastic ones sold by the big three, you won't have to search on eBay.