• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Finally getting started

JeffW

Freshman Member
I finally started the disassembly of my 61 TR3A. I have had it. for awhile but needed to finish my last project before really digging into this one. In the past week I've made a good amount of progress. I'll be reinforcing the cockpit getting ready to replace the floors, and Inner and outer rocker panels which are all rusted out. I will keep posting pictures of my progress and pit falls as I go along. This is my first restoration so I'm guessing there will be a lot of questions.

Attachments

• DSCN0059.jpg
    DSCN0059.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCN0065.jpg
    DSCN0065.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN0060.jpg
    DSCN0060.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0056.jpg
    DSCN0056.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 134
  • DSCN0063.jpg
    DSCN0063.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 130

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Excellent. We all look forward to regular updates. We shall be here if you need us! :cool:

Good luck and most importantly, have fun!

Cheers
Tush

STeve 1958

Jedi Hopeful
I have a 58 TR3A but in 1974 I had a 61. These pictures are bringing back memories. Actually making me a little sick to my stomach haha. So glad I'm not starting from scratch again.
In the 70's we didn't have the internet or TRF. so you have a great advantage.

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Jeff,
Great bunch of folks here, always willing to lend a hand as I have found out. Best of luck on your journey! I'm on my first one too.

Mine is a 60, dad's is a 61. He's had his for 50 years, I've had mine for 3 months.

I can't help with the technical yet, but I can get a measurement or a pic pretty quick, but some of these guys are really quick on the draw.

Cheers!
Ron

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Jeff

Looks like you have made a good start on the TR strip down.

Make sure you weld in good bracing to keep everything in line. Front to back and diagonals. I presume you will be separating the body from the frame. I lifted mine with a bar bolted to the bonnet hinge holes, a tube bolted between the rear wheel arches near the hood frame mounting and had a tube welded to both. So when I lifted there was no tenancy for the body to fold up. The PO had already done a number on the body.

David
Lifyting body.jpg

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jeff looks like a great project underway.
Next to the TR looks like a possible Model A Speedster project.
i have the "Odd Couple" in my garage.
The TR3A sits side by side to our 1931 Model A Victoria.
keep up the good work.

Gil. NoCal

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
Thank you for all the responses and encouragement.
David, it looks like you had a good bracing set up and I am planning something similar.
Gil, you are right about the odd couple. The other car is my 1922 speedster project that I'm building to hopefully race at The Race Of Gentlemen in October. As time goes on my cars are getting older and slower. an even odder garage mate to these two was my last project which was a Factory Five Daytona Coupe and Has been sold. I've decide at my age I would rather go a bit slower and enjoy the ride than fast and make a lot of noise.
I am building the TR3 for my wife in hopes that we will be able to cruise together down the road. She in the TR and myself in a 54 MG TF that I have in my barn.

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Jeff

My setup had the advantage that I could set the body down and get it on my body buggy on its side. Put one edge of the body on the buggy, unhook the chains on that side then lift the other side up till the body is vertical. All done without assistance. Could also move the body around.

David
Franme with body.jpg

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Here's a couple of pics of the bracing I made up. The hole in the middle of the cross brace was used to hook to the engine hoist chain. I could lift the body right off the chassis and roll it around. I had to mess with the position of the cross brace to get it perfectly balanced before I welded it in.
IMG_0182.JPG IMG_0184.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
That car looks solid to me, but I cannot see the floors in detail, but I do not see any holes. Anyways those inner rockers look good to me from here. I think you’re in great shape for a nice restoration. I will be looking forward to seeing the tub off the frame.

steve

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
Steve,My previous pictures don't tell the real story. The P.O. did a lot of cover up. here are some pictures of the pas side after I removed the cosmetic repairs, I haven't dug into the drivers side but expect to find much the same thing.
David, I like your dolly set up. A couple of questions. It looks like they are new floors. Did you replace them with the tub on the chassis? Also did you do one side at a time as I have read is the way to go or just brace it all and do them at once. Did you have to replace the rocker panels?

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
I forgot the Pics

Attachments

• DSCN0067.jpg
    DSCN0067.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0068.jpg
    DSCN0068.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 101
  • DSCN0069.jpg
    DSCN0069.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 105

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Hello Jeff

Thank you. It worked very well. I can post more photos that show my construction if you want.

They are new floors, inner and outer sills but the work was done by the PO. I am not sure what his method of working was but I did find that the passenger door opening was about 1/2" too big and the drivers door would not fit by about 1/4" so I am assuming the body was removed during the repair.
Hence my suggestion to brace everything before you unbolt the body from the frame. Doing one panel at a time makes sense and that is what they recommend in Roger Williams book "How to restore Triumph TR2,3,3A,4, and 4A" a great book to have by your side as you work.

By Rocker Panel are you referring to the outer sill? Yes they were replaced.
Reading another thread it seems that the ones made by K.A.S. in Australia are made correctly with the slight curve in them. The seats I got from them were very good.
https://www.kas-kilmartin.com.au

David

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
David, I do have Roger Williams book which is why I asked how you had done it. I plan to do one at a time but I like your set up for working on the underside. Much easier than laying on the floor underneath the body.
I'd love to see more pictures of your construction.

Jeff

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Jeff,
I am restoring a 1960 TR3A as well. I wish mine looked as good as yours. Repairing and forming new parts is time consuming but that is why I got mine. I wanted to learn more about metal forming and there is plenty to learn. I am waiting for the outer sills that I have on order from KAS- Kilmartin in Australia. The sills should be finished this week and I expect to receive them by the end of January. When they arrive I will be posting pictures as there seems to be an interest in the bowed sills to match the doors. I am doing my first restoration and the Triumph guys have been very helpful to me and I am sure they will be a great help to you. Feel free to post questions and I am sure someone has run into any situation and will offer their knowledge.Good luck, take your time and enjoy your car.
Frank

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
Thanks Frank, I got my sills from Moss. I wished I had done more research before getting them so I would have known about the curve issue. Oh well, i'll make em work.

Jeff

RJCOX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'd like to hear more about the rockers if you don't mind. Mine are TRF and sitting loose at the moment.

Since my dad's are in the process as well, I don't have an original to look at.

A link will do, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Ron

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
So if, the out sills have a curve in the center going in then do the floor pans have curve also to match? Or are we talking about a curve along the bottom fold?

OP
J

JeffW

Freshman Member
Ron, I belive that the curve is to the out side to match what I believe is a slight curve to the door.
I'm by far from an expert as I'm just getting started. Hopefully someone else will chime in here.