• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Putting windshield back together

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
During the restoration of my 54 TR-2, I removed the windshield to replace the rubber and Dzus fittings. I have the frame and side mounts together and need some hints on the best way to install the upper and lower rubber weather trim. I also have new dzus fittings along with some aluminum washers. How do I install these washers to the fittings? I know I have to first put the dzus fasteners through the hole but what I do to attach them ??

Dick

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Dzeus fitting worked fine. I followed Post #157 which was very helpful in getting the bottom rubber installed, now for the top. The screw driver push worked great for the bottom rubber, but not for the top. P 157 doesn't address this install. I even removed one of the side molding to try and slide it up the side and on to the top; it keeps coming out of the slot.

Any hints on this would be a great help.

Dick

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
For the top, the side braces must come off. The top rubber then slides into the slot, and finally the ends are trimmed to match the side braces once they are re-installed. If the top rubber will not slide easily, then the previous rubber is likely broken off and cracked, still remaining in the channel.

Post #158 shows all this.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Kinda like a Chinese Food Menu John...Order by number :cool:

Cheers
Tush

DennisT

Country flag
Hi,
I am putting my windshield back together and noticed the two of the threaded backing pieces are missing inside the windshield channel, these are the ones that hold the three screws that hold the windshield to the stantions. I wanted to ask if anyone knows the thread size of the three screws that hold the windshield to the stantion. Also I also need to know the thread and size of the miniature countersunk machine screw tha holds the threaded backing plate in the window channel which accepts the 7/8 and 1 inch oval head machine screws . I called moss and they could not give me the specs on either of these screws. Does anyone have an answer for me? Thanks Dennis

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I’m pretty sure the 3 stanchion screws are Witworth...the big 3 should stock them. If you are making the pieces yourself, then tap the countersunk screw to a standard size. You will need a witworth tap for the mounting screws, though.

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I ran 10-32 screws into the empty threads and they seemed to fit perfectly. Not sure if this is close to Whitworth and I would not like to mix them up. Same thread (10-32) appears in other small places on the car!

I installed the Dzus fasteners in the hood as described by Moss (and others) using a flathead bolt, but make sure the washer on the top is small enough not to smash your paint .

I have the opposite problem with the hood fiiting! too big a gap on the left, but I am reluctant to drill into the paint. Yes, it fitted perfectly when it was primed!

John: the numbers will be very helpful!

Dr. Mike

Last edited:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Actually, those are BA (British Association) threads. The 10-32 screw you used is very close to a 2BA size, which measures 0.185" x 31.4 tpi. A lot of threads smaller than 1/4" on the TR are BA threads. Besides having a different pitch, the angle of the treads is also different. See the link below.

This link is to British Tools & Fasteners which has taps & dies for all sorts of British threads.

Most of the BA sizes that I have run into on my TR3 are 2BA and 4BA.

https://britishfasteners.com/threads/

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thank you: I confirmed that ( very easily) with Moss so you have saved me difficulty down the road: I hope someone local has the right tap as I try to avoid cross border shopping.

Michael

DennisT

Country flag
The link to British fasteners is very helpful, they have the tap, I ordered it and it came two days later. What I need to know I’d the size and pitch of the tiny flat head machine screws that hold the small backing plates which the oval head 1”&7/8” screws thread into. My frame has two missing and I need to fabricate new ones which I will drill and tap with the two different size threaded holes.
thanks,

Dennis

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
If you are making the pieces yourself, then tap the countersunk screw to a standard size. In other words...it doesn't really matter.