• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jensen-Healey Fuel Tank Questions

Ray Brandes

Hurricane Michael put a big kink in operations here in the Florida Panhandle.
We are finally at a point where work has resumed on the J-H project.
We have three fuel tanks and hope to get one good one from the bunch.
The candidate has been red-coated, but the four little tubes near the top fitting have us puzzled.
They are plugged with the red-coat. What is their purpose? Do we need to clear them?
We won't be reinstalling the charcoal canister or the vapor return line.
Regards, Ray

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
If all the vapor and return will not be used, the only one that counts is the pickup, but you may want a vent to the charcoal filter to prevent creating a vacuum in the tank.

Just hunted down my J-H shop manual, it's Spartan with regard to details of the tank and those tubes. No illustration, either.

OP
R

Ray Brandes

|Dr,
Thank you! Since posting my question, we found two other fuel tanks with the pile-o-stuff. One had the pickup and gauge sender which are in good condition. Seeing that for the first time answered many questions. We will take the vent from the top with a hose down through the floor to avoid the vacuum.
Thank you!
Regards, Ray

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You're welcome, Ray.

Ray said:
We will take the vent from the top with a hose down through the floor to avoid the vacuum.

May I suggest you use that charcoal filter, relocate it to the rear as high as possible and route the vent line thru it.

OP
R

Ray Brandes

We have a couple of those charcoal gadgets. I will see where we can mount one. Thank you again!
Right now Bill is wrestling with the wiring.
I have discovered you must connect the clutch and throttle cables to the pedals BEFORE the pedal box goes into the fire wall.
Regards, Ray

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ray said:
I have discovered you must connect the clutch and throttle cables to the pedals BEFORE the pedal box goes into the fire wall.

My sympathies, Ray. Those 'lessons' become hard-won experience. And why it costs so much (in both time and money) to really restore old Eurotrash. No matter the make/model, there's always a learning curve with the first one you encounter.

One of our old shop jokes is: "If ya ain't done it three times, ya ain't done it at all!" :wink:

OP
R

Ray Brandes

Dr. E,
Another garage joke about English cars is drive it for one hour and work on it for four!
That was back in the '60's and '70s' when those cars were still relatively new.
Now-a-days, it is work on it for years, then trailer it to a show and hope it starts!(grin)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
hehee!

When I tell folks I drove the Elan S-3 for eleven years as my primary transportation, those who are familiar with English lumps of the era stare at me as if I've three heads... But it's true.

Same with this MGB. From '88 to '98 it did 100 mile round trips daily for work.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
When I was a mechanic I remember a couple of cars that seemed to spend more time in the shop with me then they did on the road. Once one issue was sorted a new one would pop up.

When I was a kid my dad rode a Moto Guzzi and a couple of old bikers lived next door, both rode old Harleys, one a pan head and one a shovel head. My dad would drool over those old bikes and once he admitted his admiration to one of the fellas, the reply was that they both admired his Goose. When my dad asked why they said that while they wrenched on their bikes nearly daily he would walk out to his hit the starter button and without fail ride off every day.

OP
R

Ray Brandes

Dr. E,
We have managed to swap the wiring harness from one car to the other. We are puzzled by a small 2-prong connector that is behind the seats in the bulkhead high up. Any ideas as to what that is? We can't find it on the schematic. Could it be something just for US cars?
Regards, Ray

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Ray, could it be that someone had at one time added a third brake light?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dr. E,
We have managed to swap the wiring harness from one car to the other. We are puzzled by a small 2-prong connector that is behind the seats in the bulkhead high up. Any ideas as to what that is? We can't find it on the schematic. Could it be something just for US cars?
Regards, Ray

trunk light?

OP
R

Ray Brandes

Both the parts car and the car we are rebuilding have it. It comes from the trunk harness and goes to the bulkhead and accepts a two prong plug from the passenger compartment. So, trunk light is right out as well as an additional brake light.
We have three soft tops and non have any electrical components.
So, it is still a mystery!
Regards, Ray

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
See if you can't find a catalog or brochure showing all the options you could order on a JH. If both have it I'm willing to bet it was for a factory accessory of some sorts.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
See if you can't find a catalog or brochure showing all the options you could order on a JH. If both have it I'm willing to bet it was for a factory accessory of some sorts.

I was thinking the same - perhaps interior lights for a hardtop?

Seattleeds

Freshman Member
Country flag
Both the parts car and the car we are rebuilding have it. It comes from the trunk harness and goes to the bulkhead and accepts a two prong plug from the passenger compartment. So, trunk light is right out as well as an additional brake light.
We have three soft tops and non have any electrical components.
So, it is still a mystery!
Regards, Ray
I think it may be for the defroster on the factory hard top.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That or a courtesy lamp for the area behind seats? Can you tell what the wires' color codes are?