• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A generator red light deal

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well I am putting in my wiring harness and the generator red light deal where the white and yellow wirer go on those special insolated connectors with a ground loop on the side and bulb connection in the center( I think) on them, has me perplexed. Does the white wirer go into the center and the yellow wire into the ground loop clip? Or do they both go into the center bulb connection. I cannot tell from the wiring diagram in the official book or any other diagram I have. I have some fragments of old harness that show the yellow wirer on the ground side and the white in the center. I found a picture on line, but it looks backwards compared to my fragments of harness?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oops, duplicate post. Sorry!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
It doesn't matter. Since it mounts into plastic, the socket is not grounded through the mounting at all. So one side gets the white wire, and one side gets yellow.

What you have in your photo should do fine.

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Excellent job Randall, thank you. I forgot about the plastic mounting. Heck when I got studying it and saw that the center is insulated from the side, I figured I was getting somewhere and then I thought what the heck again; how can you run the white to ground then I saw it flip flopped and went what? I was starting to think I had serious old timers and was going to move to Arizonian and take Peyote for it.
steve

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
No, I am going to use the standard screw in lights, but the miss matched set of old bulbs I have do not have the same wattage, so I am not sure what wattage to get plus new might be smart. I guess the dash lights and the bulbs for the plastic sockets could have the same wattage, but again I do not know. The big 3 probably offer up something that is fine. However, maybe locally the bulbs would be cheaper and perhaps better if and when I get all 8 bulbs. What wattage would you guys suggests?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The originals were all rated 2.2 watts; but old bulbs lose power over time, sometimes to an extreme level. I've got some that still "work" but are almost invisible!

I used 1446 bulbs, which are 2.4 watts; but I wouldn't go much higher than that. The generator light in particular can melt it's housing if it gets left on for a long time. (I actually used a partially melted housing on the Fergie, because the regular housing didn't fit between the dash & battery.)

But it turned out that buying a pack of 10 1446 bulbs locally was actually more expensive (per bulb) than buying repros from TRF. And it took over a week for them to come in. YMMV