• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Folding Windscreen

chapelfarmer

Freshman Member
I've just bought a BN2 (v excited) and took it for a trial spin on NYD. The folded-windscreen experience was interesting (!!!) but the screen seemed to be bending / flexing in the windstream rather frighteningly. The centre lower frame didn't quite bend or bounce low enough to touch the scuttle, but not far off. Is this normal? It looked as though it might break the glass so I put it back in the sensible (boring) position fairly smartly.
Thanks for any owner experience.
John

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The 100's folding windscreen is indeed a bit fragile, but what you're experiencing sounds a bit excessive. I can't think of one particular thing that would cause so much flexing, but I do know that everything has to be in top nick--threads, brackets, etc.--for it to be even minimally stable. I'd first check the main mounts, on either side of the windscreen, to make sure their fasteners are tight (IIRC, they mount inside the front door pillar). Note the knurled on one side--the ones you have to loosen to lower the screen--is a left-hand thread (I think it's the right-hand side; which would be the driver's side if your car is RHD, but I'm not sure).

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have been running the early folding windshield on my 100-6 for over 20 years and what you describe sounds completely normal - they do flex quite a bit but I have never cracked one while driving. I have only broken two - one in the "up" position when a rock hit me and one while off the car in storage.

Bob is right about making sure all fasteners are tight, however, my knurled knobs are both right hand thread, and I haven't seen any left hand threaded ones.

Put it down and enjoy!!!

Dave

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
Do you have the hold down springs installed? Not sure if these will help with the windshield bending in the middle, but will definitely help with it bouncing.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag

Bob is right about making sure all fasteners are tight, however, my knurled knobs are both right hand thread, and I haven't seen any left hand threaded ones.

Dave

Mine are both RH-threaded now, too, since my dad stripped the LH one, not knowing it was bass-ackwards (LH-threaded ones are NLA last I checked).

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've just bought a BN2 (v excited) and took it for a trial spin on NYD. The folded-windscreen experience was interesting (!!!) but the screen seemed to be bending / flexing in the windstream rather frighteningly. The centre lower frame didn't quite bend or bounce low enough to touch the scuttle, but not far off. Is this normal? It looked as though it might break the glass so I put it back in the sensible (boring) position fairly smartly.
Thanks for any owner experience.
John

Just re-read; first time I didn't catch that you were driving with the windscreen down. I've never done it, but wouldn't be surprised that the windscreen would flex and bounce a bit.

CraigC

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The knurled knobs are all right hand thread. It is the small retaining screw for the knob that was/is left hand thread.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
John--

With all due respect to you and Dave, no good can come of driving with the screen in the down position and you are putting more than the windshield at risk unless you are wearing a full face helmet. Save the look for car shows and parades.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Michael,

For me it's not about the look, it is about the fine feeling of unrestricted visibility and wind in the face - I have no desire to 'pose' at a car show.

I spent many years riding motorcycles before we had helmet laws and I miss that experience and the only way to achieve it nowadays is the Healey with the shield down.

Michael Schumacher came through formula one racing pretty much unscathed but not skiing - should all skiers quit skiing & take up racing instead? I strongly suggest watching the movie "Second Hand Lions" to understand my perspective.

To each his own but IMO the windshield is the crowning signature element to a Healey - much prettier than the T series MGs but the same effect. I will surely keep running with it down (whenever I get the car together again).

Dave

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Ah, right you are. Last I checked the knobs with LH lock screws are NLA (anyone know of any?).

Probably because the screws are unnecessary. The ones I have been running for 20 years came from Moss and have no counterbore or threads for screws.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave--

I'm coming from experiences I have had on the track where chunks of rubber and other debris thrown up by cars immediately in front of me have hit my face mask and on a couple of occasions left scratches/gouges. Driving with windshield down on roads at 50-60 mph would be no different. Yes, the feeling of wind in one's face is cool but is it worth the chance of losing an eye, etc?

aero3113

Jedi Trainee
My windshield stays down from spring till the temperature starts to drop. Yes, there can be a risk something hitting me. I do wear shock resistant sun glasses with foam to keep the wind out of my eyes. Also try not to drive too close to the car in front of me. What about the thousands of motorcycles on the road? Not many have windshields that go above the head. States with no helmet law?

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Dave--

I'm coming from experiences I have had on the track where chunks of rubber and other debris thrown up by cars immediately in front of me have hit my face mask and on a couple of occasions left scratches/gouges. Driving with windshield down on roads at 50-60 mph would be no different. Yes, the feeling of wind in one's face is cool but is it worth the chance of losing an eye, etc?

Michael, So am I.... I raced mine for over 15 years (99 entries in my log book) with a small Perspex shield that I look over, not through and I know just what you are talking about. But it is nothing like that on the street - there are no chunks of ground off rubber to kick up and you are never following someone as close as we do on the track - and usually when getting hit with debris on the track it's in spots where folks in front of you drop a wheel off and catch some gravel, again, not a common problem on the street.

I also rode motorcycles for years before we had helmet laws here in Washington State and I loved every minute - lost my interest in riding when we got a helmet law.

As to eyes - I use OSHA approved safety glasses (look like regular sun glasses) and I am not in fear of damages to my eyes. Worst I've suffered is from hitting a bumble bee at 80 - dead center in my forehead, was very messy.

I chose to not be afraid of fun things and there aren't many things I think are fun that aren't dangerous. I had my first windshield down ride in a 100 in about 1965 and that experience sold me on Healeys.

Are there risks with the shield down? You bet, but there are risks racing too and I know lots of folks who think people like you & me who race are crazy to take that risk, but there we are - racing at every oportunity.

Dave

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey Dave -

I've always loved the look of your car on the track. Hope to see it back soon!

DavidPhillips PIR T # 11.jpg

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
G’day John,
I reckon the reason so many 100s have broken windscreen locking screws is because early owners were not aware of them being LH thread. Curiously, neither the owner’s handbook or the workshop manual mention these locking screws. Overenthusiastic application with the screwdriver and bingo....broken screw! That doesn’t explain why both sides (as on my car) should be broken. (note to self: LH thread on both sides! They are not knock-on hubcaps, idiot!)
Cheers,
Alwyn

Last edited:

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Dave/John--

Of course how you guys choose to proceed is your right and I'll keep an eye out for future posts as to results.:wink-new:

Last edited:

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
... I reckon the reason so many 100s have broken windscreen locking screws is because early owners were not aware of them being LH thread. ...

Crap ... now I feel even worse. Our BN2's locking screws were both OK; my dad broke our LH one as you described. He tapped and re-threaded the hole for RH before I found out about it.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
When I put my BN2 on the road after a lengthy rebuild, I couldn't wait to drive with the screen folded. That was the only time, I got over it in about 3 minutes. Having said that, the friend who rode with me burst out laughing due to the smile on my face that just wouldn't fade.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
When I put my BN2 on the road after a lengthy rebuild, I couldn't wait to drive with the screen folded. That was the only time, I got over it in about 3 minutes. Having said that, the friend who rode with me burst out laughing due to the smile on my face that just wouldn't fade.

Went with a drive with the windshield down with my son in law.....we were laughing so hard...cause we couldn't breath....it was also 30 degrees..have never driven with it down since!